PDA

View Full Version : Would my desktop be faster if...

Ntacman
February 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Would my desktop be faster if I ran Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu instead of keeping windows?

Specs:
768 MB ram
40GB HD
2.40 GHz CPU

kk0sse54
February 8th, 2009, 05:50 PM
As in a vm? Because the answer would no.

Ntacman
February 8th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I editted the original post to make more sense

Bölvağur
February 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
It depends one 2 things.

1. How you would define/measure faster

2. How you use the computer, because it may be faster or slower in different areas depending on the hardware (device specific)

Like everyone I'd say you'd get the fastest system with Xubuntu, but I'd also suggest having a lighter window manager like Fluxbox or just go Arch.
But any of the Ubuntu family will run fine on this system so you do not really have to sacrifice too much eye candy for performance (like having cli interface only).

mohitchawla
February 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM
If anything (and it could be a measure of fastness), you won't see the hard disk light blinking without any reason or surprising applications popping up now and then (no magic !).

And as far as choice of ubuntu variant goes, on my 512 mb and celeron 900 MHz processor machine, xubuntu does NOT score any better than ubuntu/kubuntu. However, Crunchbang Linux (another ubuntu variant) proved to be a better choice, you might as well look at it as an alternative.

Rokurosv
February 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Dude that's exactly my setup......I'm running Fedora 10 right now and the Alpha on another partition.
I've only had experience with Ubuntu and I think it runs pretty fast, I always disable unwanted stuff like Bluetooth or the Network Manager. I think it should run pretty well on your system.

Ntacman
February 8th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies! So far its down to Kubuntu/Ubuntu/CrunchBang, Xubuntu is too minimal for me.

Mohamedzv2
February 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
The fastest of Kubuntu/Ubuntu/CrunchBang is most likely CrunchBang. Doesn't it run Xfce, or was it Open Box? Either way, it is still faster then KDE or Gnome

MaxIBoy
February 8th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies! So far its down to Kubuntu/Ubuntu/CrunchBang, Xubuntu is too minimal for me.
If Xubuntu is too minimal, CrunchBang is going to be worse. However, that machine is easily overkill for CrunchBang.
http://crunchbang.org/wiki/crunchbang-linux-8-dot-04-dot-02-screenshots/
Crunchbang uses OpenBox, a minimal window manager. Xubuntu uses Xfce, which is one of the "heavy" desktop environments (admittedly, it's one of the lightest, but still.)

Your computer is plenty fast enough to run mainline Ubuntu, but keep in mind Ubuntu is slower than Windows XP is.

That's expected to improve with Ubuntu 9.04, but right now that's still in very early alpha.

chamber
February 8th, 2009, 07:09 PM
The fastest of Kubuntu/Ubuntu/CrunchBang is most likely CrunchBang. Doesn't it run Xfce, or was it Open Box? Either way, it is still faster then KDE or Gnome

It runs openbox and is very minimal, which suits me down to the ground as I HATE icons on my desktop or lots of clutter.

May be too minimal if the op thinks that Xubuntu is.

Ntacman
February 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I guess I didn't choose the correct word for Xubuntu then, Because Im kinda drawn to the CrunchBang linux look.

chamber
February 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I guess I didn't choose the correct word for Xubuntu then, Because Im kinda drawn to the CrunchBang linux look.

I really like it and heartily recommend it.

Ntacman
February 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
After Kubuntu Finishes burning, Ill try Crunchbang, and I guess Xubuntu since I D/Led it aswell.

MaxIBoy
February 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I think I know what you mean-- CrunchBang has a stylish-looking theme installed by default, whereas Xubuntu has boring gray panels. Keep in mind that you can always change the theme later. Themes for the three most popular "heavy" desktop environments are here:
www.gnome-look.org
www.xfce-look.org
www.kde-look.org

mohitchawla
February 8th, 2009, 07:22 PM
What're you guys talking about ?!
Crunchbang has got only a minimalistic look , it is by no means minimalist in the absolute sense.
Rather, it has got a wide and in my opinion (and quite a few others !) the best choice of default applications installed !

EDIT: I guess the misunderstanding has been resolved, but what the heck.

Ntacman
February 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I think I know what you mean-- CrunchBang has a stylish-looking theme installed by default, whereas Xubuntu has boring gray panels. Keep in mind that you can always change the theme later. Themes for the three most popular "heavy" desktop environments are here:
www.gnome-look.org
www.xfce-look.org
www.kde-look.org

Thats exactly what I mean, and thanks for those links!

Ntacman
February 8th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Just tried booting into Kubuntu off a live CD, Failed. Something about logical block *0-4* and a buffer...can't remember all of it.
There goes my first choice.

Rokurosv
February 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
You could also install LXDE, I think it's in the repositories right? It's a light weight Desktop Enviroment, I've tried it and I think it's awesome, You could install any version of Ubuntu and then download the LXDE packages

cardinals_fan
February 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Depends on what you do with it. Linux distros are, in general, a bit easier to slim down.

MaxIBoy
February 8th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Just tried booting into Kubuntu off a live CD, Failed. Something about logical block *0-4* and a buffer...can't remember all of it.
There goes my first choice.
Sounds like the CD burn went badly.

Protip: burn at the slowest possible speed, and don't jiggle the computer when it's burning.

SunnyRabbiera
February 8th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Looking at your specs you would be fine with ubuntu even with effects enabled.

Ntacman
February 9th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Sounds like the CD burn went badly.

Protip: burn at the slowest possible speed, and don't jiggle the computer when it's burning.

Well, if it was, My program didn't notify me, because it acted as if everything completed perfectly, showed no sign of errors, etc.

MaxIBoy
February 9th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Errors still happen. Believe me, I know.

However!

You only need just the one crunchbang CD (or any other Ubuntu variant.) Crunchbang, an Ubuntu variant, uses the Ubuntu repos. After you've installed Crunchbang, you can install any desktop environment you like from the Ubuntu repos, and you'll get the exact same thing as if you had it from the beginning. So you can install the xfce4 package, and you'll get exactly what would've come preinstalled on your xubuntu CD.

With me, I installed from a standard Ubuntu CD (GNOME Desktop environment,) and later installed Kde4 (Kubuntu,) Xfce4 (Xubuntu,) LXDE (crunchbang,) and I'm working on installing E17 (openGEU.)

You just pick your preferred DE at the login screen.

wookiehangover
February 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I would definitely recommend trying out a live cd...

and is that 768mb of ram shared video ram? most onboard graphics do this, and it will make any system appear to be slower than it potentially is. I'd recommend research some basic hardware upgrades that can be done fairly cheaply, ie: more ram and a new video card

Twitch6000
February 9th, 2009, 05:34 AM
You could go with ubuntu and install LXDE for the DE.

LXDE is one of those DE's that are light,but still have a nice feel to it.

snowpine
February 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Another vote for Crunchbang if speed is your top concern. It is really a great distro!

hessiess
February 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Arch/Gentoo

Ntacman
February 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I would definitely recommend trying out a live cd...

and is that 768mb of ram shared video ram? most onboard graphics do this, and it will make any system appear to be slower than it potentially is. I'd recommend research some basic hardware upgrades that can be done fairly cheaply, ie: more ram and a new video card
I don't believe so. Thats full blown ram as far as I can remember.

Ntacman
February 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I guess ill try use cruchbang with KDE, but now to get the wireless problem solved...

snowpine
February 9th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I guess ill try use cruchbang with KDE, but now to get the wireless problem solved...

Crunchbang does not use KDE; it uses Openbox. Use Kubuntu if you want KDE.

(edit) What is the "wireless problem"? I think this is the first you've mentioned it.

Ntacman
February 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Crunchbang does not use KDE; it uses Openbox. Use Kubuntu if you want KDE.

(edit) What is the "wireless problem"? I think this is the first you've mentioned it.

I know it doesn't by default, but you can't D/L it and use it like you could in regular Ubuntu? and my wireless problem is something to do with my broadcom 440x 10/100 intergrated controller I believe...And if it isn't that, my internet card is a D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless Card, but I still believe it has something to due with the broadcom.

snowpine
February 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I know it doesn't by default, but you can't D/L it and use it like you could in regular Ubuntu? and my wireless problem is something to do with my broadcom 440x 10/100 intergrated controller I believe...

There is no advantage to using Crunchbang as a base for KDE. Crunchbang is a wonderful and fast Openbox-based distro; if you don't use Openbox, you lose what makes it special in my opinion. You would also end up with a lot of Openbox-related packages and applications you don't need. Much better to either install Kubuntu, or start with a command-line only minimal install of Ubuntu then install KDE on top. KDE on Crunchbang would be like putting peanut butter and jelly on your spaghetti. ;)

Ntacman
February 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Well, Ill mess around with open box for a while and see if I become attached to it.
(edit)would you mind guiding me through the dual boot process, since It'll be my first dual boot ever...as far as I remember :/.

Ntacman
February 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Crunchbang Failed. Its probably because of the speed I burn at, but if I burn at 1...or even 2, it won't even start burning.

snowpine
February 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Crunchbang Failed. Its probably because of the speed I burn at, but if I burn at 1...or even 2, it won't even start burning.

So your Kubuntu burn failed, and now your Crunchbang burn failed... something is wrong here. We should figure out why you can't burn a working Live CD before you get too frustrated trying out different distros. :)

Here is a great guide to burning: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

chamber
February 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Well, Ill mess around with open box for a while and see if I become attached to it.
(edit)would you mind guiding me through the dual boot process, since It'll be my first dual boot ever...as far as I remember :/.

HERE (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed _first.htm) is a great guide for dual booting with XP and HERE (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm) is one for Vista.

I have used these guides in the past and found them to be really useful.

But snowpine is right, get the burning problem sorted first.

Plus Openbox is great. HERE (http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/) is a really handy guide by Urukrama (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=141479) for getting the best out of it.

Ntacman
February 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Thamls for those links! especially the dual booting with xp one ;]. If I ever get my Wireless problem sorted out, its full ubuntu*or whatever I chose to dualboot* for me.

DMcA
February 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
To reply to the original question in general terms: If you're talking about Windows XP, then a slightly tweaked clean install with no crapware will certainly run much faster on lower specs than a stock ubuntu install with compiz enabled. Problem I find with windows is it seems to slow down over time.

Your specs don't seem all that low though.

Ntacman
February 9th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I've noticed that, after I tried my bad Kubuntu CD, my originally working Ubuntu CD has messed up too...It'll goto the original menu, and if you choose the option try ubuntu without any change to your computer, it'll go to the loading bar, but after that, it just goes to a command like screen saying Loading, please wait at the top and Something about typing help for a list of commands, and you have a blank line below that, with the word (initramfs) in parentheses...any idea?

Ntacman
February 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I've noticed an increasing pattern here. Ever since I tried that unsuccessful kubuntu CD, None of the ubuntu-family OS's, or even ones based off of it will work correctly, even if succesfully burned. I just tried a mini-ubuntu remix, and it burned successfully at the correct speed, and it wouldnt finish booting, everything was OK, but the live desktop never appeared.:confused: Whats the problem here? Will I ever be able to fix it?

MaxIBoy
February 10th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Maybe you're having a problem with hardware support.

Try booting from a USB flash drive instead of a CD, see if that solves the problem. Also, boot the computer up in verbose mode and see if you get any more detailed info.

Ntacman
February 10th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Don't believe its hardware problem, as I used my ubuntu live cd, same exact one, before, and it worked without a problem. And I don't believe I have a USB big enough for Ubuntu at the moment. I also tried my fedora, Slax, and other various Linux OS's, and they all worked.

Kinetic Being
February 10th, 2009, 01:35 AM
It sounds like the CDs (or DVDs) you're burning are corrupted.

First, make sure the .iso's you're downloading aren't corrupted themselves (it happens) by getting the MD5 Checksums for the .iso you are downloading, and make sure the .iso matches up to the checksums. You can search google for how to do this in XP.

Check the CD you are using for any kind of scratches or dust. LiveCD's are much more fragile (read: easy to break) than other kinds of CDs (like music for example) that you may burn.

Then burn the CD at the lowest speed you can, making sure nothing hits your computer case during the burn.

Then when you boot into the CD, make sure that you do the Integrity Check at the first menu that you see. It will take a while, but that will tell you if anything isn't right on the disc.

If that doesn't work, maybe try a non-ubuntu distro. OpenSUSE is an easy desktop-oriented distro that might intrest you. It also offers the same desktop enviroments (KDE, GNOME, XFCE, all the others) that Ubuntu and family do, so don't worry about that at all.

And, you might want to check to see if your hardware is supported. I don't know if you posted it, but I didn't see it/read it.

Ntacman
February 10th, 2009, 01:49 AM
It sounds like the CDs (or DVDs) you're burning are corrupted.

First, make sure the .iso's you're downloading aren't corrupted themselves (it happens) by getting the MD5 Checksums for the .iso you are downloading, and make sure the .iso matches up to the checksums. You can search google for how to do this in XP.

Check the CD you are using for any kind of scratches or dust. LiveCD's are much more fragile (read: easy to break) than other kinds of CDs (like music for example) that you may burn.

Then burn the CD at the lowest speed you can, making sure nothing hits your computer case during the burn.

Then when you boot into the CD, make sure that you do the Integrity Check at the first menu that you see. It will take a while, but that will tell you if anything isn't right on the disc.

If that doesn't work, maybe try a non-ubuntu distro. OpenSUSE is an easy desktop-oriented distro that might intrest you. It also offers the same desktop enviroments (KDE, GNOME, XFCE, all the others) that Ubuntu and family do, so don't worry about that at all.

And, you might want to check to see if your hardware is supported. I don't know if you posted it, but I didn't see it/read it.
I won't be able to burn a full linux distro at 1, or even 2x speed, because it won't even finish doing an Optical Power Calibration, less alone start burning. Scratches, my fedora core 10 has some on the bottom, but it has some scratches, runs fine. same with my original ubuntu CD, worked fine before Kubuntu...and it had more scratches then my fedora core 10. Integrity Check on ubuntu live cd=O.K.