PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Start hellanzb at boot in rc.local

itsmeok
February 8th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hi, I hope some of you can help me a bit on getting Hellanzb started at startup. I am running Kubuntu 7.10 with Linuxmce installed. I have seen some post on this topic but it did fix my problem. This is my rc.local:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

su -c 'hellanzb -D' - linuxmce

exit 0

If I run the rc.local file from a command prompt it runs fine.

What is the execution bit and how would i change that ?

lemming465
February 9th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Traditionally linux files have choices of read, write, and execute permissions for the file user owner, the file group owner, and the general public. E.g.

$ ls -l /etc/rc.local
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 306 2008-10-29 16:05 /etc/rc.local

On this system (ubuntu 8.10) /etc/rc.local is owned by user root with permissions "rwx" (read+write+execute), group root with permissions read+execute; and everyone else also gets read+execute. To add execute permissions to a file use "chmod", e.g. sudo chmod +x ....

However, lack of execute permissions may not be your issue. Also check that /etc/init.d/rc.local exists and has execute permissions, and that /etc/rc2.d has a symbolic link (made by "ln -s") S99rc.local pointing at it.

lemming465
February 10th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Traditionally linux files have choices of read, write, and execute permissions for the file user owner, the file group owner, and the general public. E.g.

$ ls -l /etc/rc.local
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 306 2008-10-29 16:05 /etc/rc.local

On this system (ubuntu 8.10) /etc/rc.local is owned by user root with permissions "rwx" (read+write+execute), group root with permissions read+execute; and everyone else also gets read+execute. To add execute permissions to a file use "chmod", e.g. sudo chmod +x ....

However, lack of execute permissions may not be your issue. Also check that /etc/init.d/rc.local exists and has execute permissions, and that /etc/rc2.d has a symbolic link (made by "ln -s") S99rc.local pointing at it.

itsmeok
February 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hope I understood you correctly:

My execution looks fine I guess:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 338 2009-02-08 15:26 /etc/rc.local

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 522 2007-10-04 13:17 /etc/init.d/rc.local

I checked /etc/rc2.d/S99rc.local with vi and it looks like this:

#! /bin/sh

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
[ -f /etc/default/rcS ] && . /etc/default/rcS
. /lib/lsb/init-functions

do_start() {
if [ -x /etc/rc.local ]; then
log_begin_msg "Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)"
/etc/rc.local
log_end_msg $?
fi
}

case "$1" in
start)
do_start
;;
restart|reload|force-reload)
echo "Error: argument '$1' not supported" >&2
exit 3
;;
stop)

Anu more thoughts?

Maybe how could I check if it even get run at boot. Could I check that during boot or in a log file ?

lemming465
February 14th, 2009, 10:24 PM
See if /var/log/messages or /var/log/boot has the line about Running local boot scripts. Other things that could help increase the noise level: take "quiet" out of the kernel arguments in /boot/grub/menu.lst, and add "set -x" to /etc/rc.local.

I'm wondering if this is a path issue. If rc.local works when you run it, but not when /etc/init.d/rc runs it, where is linuxmce? If it's not in one of /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin try providing the absolute path to it.