PDA

View Full Version : I make money installing Linux, do you?

wolfen69
February 8th, 2009, 08:10 AM
most of my new customers use it and are happy with it. i don't hesitate to recommend linux and support it. i know it, i can get it going. windows users need not reply. :p

Nevon
February 8th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Good for you. I don't want to have to become everyone's tech support guy, so I'm not going to start offering to install Linux for people - unless I know they can manage most technical problems themselves.

overlord.gaurav
February 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I do recommend people to use Linux. I get calls from people asking for help.
But they are not my customers. They are my friends. So, I do not ask them for money. And I enjoy it this way! =)

wolfen69
February 8th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Good for you. I don't want to have to become everyone's tech support guy, so I'm not going to start offering to install Linux for people - unless I know they can manage most technical problems themselves.

well, it's obvious from your reply, that tech support isn't your thing.

i install linux, and support it. what's wrong with that? actually, most of my customers dual boot and use linux most of the time.

at least i get good referrals because now, their computer works all of a sudden.

zmjjmz
February 8th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I wish I got paid for doing that :(

handy
February 8th, 2009, 08:21 AM
No.

On retiring from my windows based computer business I dropped windows & took up Linux, having only advised people to use it, who I knew could look after themselves.

The only computer support I want to be involved in is Linux based forums, where the customers are basically anonymous, as am I, & there is absolutely NO money involved.

In the Linux arena, I know very little anyway. :-)

wolfen69
February 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM
No.

On retiring from my windows based computer business I dropped windows & took up Linux, having only advised people to use it, who I knew could look after themselves.

The only computer support I want to be involved in is Linux based forums, where the customers are basically anonymous, as am I, & there is absolutely NO money involved.

In the Linux arena, I know very little anyway. :-)

well. unlike you, i make all my money from pc repair and sales. that's what i do.

handy
February 8th, 2009, 08:29 AM
well. unlike you, i make all my money from pc repair and sales. that's what i do.

Well, unlike you, I did that for 10 years, & have been retired from the world of employment for over 3 years now; when I retired, was the day I took up Linux.

Now Linux is mostly what I do, for me. ;-)

Is there an echo in this room?

loell
February 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I wish i'm that privileged. :)

handy
February 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I wish i'm that privileged. :)

If your reply was posted to me, loell, I can only reply that I expect that you are a lot younger than me, & that is a privilege that is priceless. :-D

Enjoy your time, it's life's gift to you. :KS

jrusso2
February 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM
After years of starting with Desktop support I was so happy to be away from the users and working with the servers I would not want to go back.

jono2009
February 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I don't either, but I will in the near future.

A client gets a smooth introduction to a quality Linux O/S instead of Windows(and may even stop using it). Charge a client for your time, they get service, they move on and develop quicker, hey everyone is happy. And I
think you expose more people to Linux.

Currently I get a buzz out of friends, seeing their faces as they realize the time they lost trying to use M/Soft crap. I know I did.

Johnsie
February 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM
At work I installed an Ubuntu VM on the server. It's the main VM on there. I also installed it on one workstation that is going into stores. That's as far as I'm going to go for now though. The rest of our staff need Windows to access certain websites (user agent switcher is not enough), use the GPS vehicle tracking software, use matchit, access and several other things. I can't do a full roll-out of Linux because Linux wont meet those users needs.

adamlau
February 8th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I will support close friends and family, but that is about it. I have been offered to install and support, but I make better money doing other things and so I do.

goodsamaritan55
July 9th, 2010, 11:28 PM
most of my new customers use it and are happy with it. i don't hesitate to recommend linux and support it. i know it, i can get it going. windows users need not reply. :p

How much do you charge for installing linux and supporting it?

How do you advertise?

Anybody else experience makeing money on installing and supporting ubuntu?

Sporkman
July 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Well, unlike you, I did that for 10 years, & have been retired from the world of employment for over 3 years now; when I retired, was the day I took up Linux.

Is that when you also cut off your ear?

Shompol
July 10th, 2010, 12:06 AM

Awesome! Getting paid only works when you have happy customers.
=D>

I installed Ubuntu to a couple of friends/relatives and none are too excited about it. i think it's the grimy look of Gnome that they don't like.

Do you install with KDE or what's your secret to make it look appealing?

beercz
July 10th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Occasionally (http://lidd.net)

hansdown
July 10th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Hi goodsamaritan55, and Shompol.

wolfen69 is no longer on this forum..."burnt beans".

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=122434

eyeofreason
July 10th, 2010, 01:46 AM
My wife made me promise not to mention Linux to anyone else as I already provide support for too many people. Most windows users are terrible lazy. I should have been paid some of my friends act like they pay me!!

dragos240
July 10th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Necromancy again?

cariboo
July 10th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Closed, it must be Friday.