PDA

View Full Version : Multiple computers connected to school network.

easybake
February 8th, 2009, 12:45 AM
My school has a system set up that is rather frustrating. It only allows one machine at a time to be connected to the internet. If you try to login with another machine at the same time it says "there are too many users using this account".

I would really like to have my pc and laptop connected to the internet at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work? Is there a way to just send my laptops connection through my pc so it only appears to be a single connection?

diablo75
February 8th, 2009, 01:40 AM
You could try to take an ethernet cable from your wall into the back of a routers uplink/internet port, then plug your computer and laptop into the downlinks on the router...

[ Wall Keystone Jack ]-----{Router}=====(Computer and laptop)

EDIT: You have to login?? You mean you have to enter a username and password? I suppose you could look into Internet Connection Sharing, and do this:

[ Wall ]----{PC}----{Laptop}

juanmoreno92
February 8th, 2009, 02:02 AM
You could try bridging the connection going to your PC for your laptop.

easybake
February 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Thanks a lot. I think the best solution would be to do that bridge connection or the [wall]----[pc]----[laptop]. Would i need additional hardware for that.

Also, all i have currently have is a switch instead of a router.

Edit: Would SSH have any use here?

cariboo
February 8th, 2009, 09:42 AM
A router would be the solution to your problem, most routers allow you to clone the mac address of your computer, then you could connect as many computers to the system as you want as it would only see the mac address that you are supposed to connect with.

Jim

easybake
February 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Perfect! I'm definitely going to try it out as soon as I get a router. Thanks a lot!

hessiess
February 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Have you tryed complaining?

easybake
February 17th, 2009, 02:01 AM
A router would be the solution to your problem, most routers allow you to clone the mac address of your computer, then you could connect as many computers to the system as you want as it would only see the mac address that you are supposed to connect with.

Jim

Finally got one and this worked like a charm. Many thanks.

pwnst*r
June 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM
how about suggesting it to the IT person or staff and not doing? unless of course they don't HAVE anybody and you're volunteering.

*dammit, old post*