PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot view workgroup with ufw activated

empty_spaces
February 8th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I have a desktop running WinXP and a laptop running 8.04.2. Both WinXP and 8.04.2 are members of the same workgroup.
I have UFW set as -> "sudo ufw default deny" and set the WinXP ip address in the allow list.
When I click on Places -> Network, I cannot see my workgroup.
If I then change UFW to -> "sudo ufw default allow", I can then see my workgroup.

Is there anything else I need to add to the exceptions list in ufw so that I can view my workgroup from ubuntu even when ufw is set to "default deny"?

Note: If I directly enter smb://winxp-ipaddress in Nautilus with ufw set to "default deny", I can browse my shared folders on WinXP.

empty_spaces
February 8th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Bump.
My current workaround to access shares easily with ufw enabled is to bookmark the WinXP machine share.
But my original question still remains.

superprash2003
February 8th, 2009, 07:17 PM
try opening port 139 or 137-140

empty_spaces
February 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM
thanks for the suggestion.
I tried ports 137-140 first, and it seemed to work for a while.
After restarting the computer though, now Nautilus does not want to browse any windows shared folders unless I enter smb://ipaddress-of-winxp-machine.

In the past, clicking on the "Windows Network" icon would have shown me the WInXP machine, but now it just comes up blank. It won't even show the animated gnome icon which tells me that its searching the network, it just directly shows a blank.

This is definitely a Nautilus issue, because I also tried Konqueror and it works flawlessly. It shows me my workgroup, folder shares etc. and I never have to type any addresses or hostnames.

superprash2003
February 10th, 2009, 06:37 PM
yea.. nautilus does have a few bugs!!!

anibalojeda
April 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
thanks for the suggestion.
I tried ports 137-140 first, and it seemed to work for a while.
After restarting the computer though, now Nautilus does not want to browse any windows shared folders unless I enter smb://ipaddress-of-winxp-machine.

In the past, clicking on the "Windows Network" icon would have shown me the WInXP machine, but now it just comes up blank. It won't even show the animated gnome icon which tells me that its searching the network, it just directly shows a blank.

This is definitely a Nautilus issue, because I also tried Konqueror and it works flawlessly. It shows me my workgroup, folder shares etc. and I never have to type any addresses or hostnames.

have you reported this as a bug?
got the same here.

squibs
April 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
I found the information at http://log.logfish.net/node/31 to be useful when I had a similar issue.