PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best way to upgrade harware to 64 bit with 8.04?

dishbert
February 7th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I will be upgrading to a 64 bit cpu, new motherboard and new RAM.

Question 1: is there a way just to "upgrade" my existing 8.04 installation with the 64 bit CD?

Question 2: Assuming the answer to 1 is "NO", I have everything backed up on an Acronis image on an external drive, and I can restore individual files and directories that way. I'd like to that with most everything. Is this a good idea? (I have stuff like Mythtv that was compiled on the 32 bit version.)

Question 3: If the above is a good idea, what directories or files should I NOT restore onto the 64 bit install?

dishbert
February 8th, 2009, 04:01 AM
After searching again using different criteria, I found a post from a credible source that says it is NOT possible to upgrade, so I'll reinstall from the 64 bit CD.

That still leaves my question: what are the files and folders that are essential to a 64 bit system? With that knowledge I can restore all the rest of the files from my current version and save many many hours of rebuilding.

howefield
February 8th, 2009, 04:07 AM
...what are the files and folders that are essential to a 64 bit system?

Given that you'll be running 64 bit versions of most, if not all of your programs, you probably don't want to restore system files from the current install.

dishbert
February 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks howefield, that's what I needed to know.