PDA

View Full Version : How to troubleshoot a dvd drive?

Rokurosv
February 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm having some problems with a DVD Drive I got recently. It gets recognized by Windows and Arch, but when I insert a CD/DVD it gets stuck like it's reading it but it never shows up, even tried booting from it but again it got stuck. What should I check? The IDE cable is connected and so is the power cable.

Thanks

diablo75
February 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I'm having some problems with a DVD Drive I got recently. It gets recognized by Windows and Arch, but when I insert a CD/DVD it gets stuck like it's reading it but it never shows up, even tried booting from it but again it got stuck. What should I check? The IDE cable is connected and so is the power cable.

Thanks

Hate to be a wiseass but you'd probably get better results in the hardware forum.

But if it were me, and if both your DVD drive and your primary hard drive are on the same IDE channel, is make sure both drives are using Cable Select. If possible, I'd separate the drive and put it on the secondary IDE channel with a different cable, too.

Rokurosv
February 7th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Well I didn't know if I should ask in the support forums cause I'm not using Ubuntu, but I guess I'll give it a try, maybe a mod can move this post so I don't make a new one.

The DVD drive is connected on a different cable than my hard drive, perhaps it's damaged?

diablo75
February 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
perhaps it's damaged?

That's pretty unlikely. To rule the thought out, you could swap cables with the HD and boot up to see if it makes a difference.

Rokurosv
February 7th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Ok I'm going to try that. I just checked and I had my dvd drive in Cable Select, should I make it master since it's the only one connected to that cable? I also tried to connect my old CD burner in the exact same setup and it worked.

diablo75
February 8th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Ok I'm going to try that. I just checked and I had my dvd drive in Cable Select, should I make it master since it's the only one connected to that cable? I also tried to connect my old CD burner in the exact same setup and it worked.

Couldn't hurt anything, although 80-wire IDE cable is usually picky about which part of the plug you hook your master and slave drives up to. If memory serves, I think master is the middle and your slave is on the end (with the mobo being on the other end, usually with a blue connector).

Dr Small
February 8th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Couldn't hurt anything, although 80-wire IDE cable is usually picky about which part of the plug you hook your master and slave drives up to. If memory serves, I think master is the middle and your slave is on the end (with the mobo being on the other end, usually with a blue connector).
Master is the end, on mine.

Rokurosv
February 8th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Tried a couple of combinations but nothing worked, it's really weird. I think perhaps the lens is dirty or something, I'm going to try using a cleaner CD and see if that's the problem. I think I'm going to try on another computer and if that doesn't work I'm going to take it to a friend of mine.