PDA

View Full Version : Best Choice for Computer Science Degree

user1397
February 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I'm going to college next semester, and I'm going to buy a new computer, but there's a catch: I'm probably majoring in computer science, and I don't know whether that means of course windows-only, or perhaps a dual-boot setup, or linux-only system...

what are your opinions?

Kingsley
February 7th, 2009, 06:27 PM
You may as well dual boot. HD space won't even be an issue if you buy a new computer.

jay576
February 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Some courses may teach to Visual Studio which is windows-only so you may want a windows partition or VM.
You could most likely survive all your courses without windows but most classes are taught to windows because it does monopolize most of the business world.

kernelhaxor
February 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
As a computer science major, I too would recommend a dual boot with windows and linux .. Though I didn't need windows much as almost all classes in my university needed linux and not windows

eragon100
February 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I am not at university yet, but at the uni where I am going to study informatics (master computer science), all the computers in the computer lab run linux, and the OS/kernel design courses are given using linux, too. So don't give up all hope yet, I think you'll be fine without windows :wink:

igknighted
February 7th, 2009, 06:56 PM
The Uni I started at was very windows-centric for PCs (although we did use Macs in our CS lab). The one I transfered to did everything on Unix (mostly BSD for their systems). So it greatly depends on your Uni. Call some professors in the department and see what they think.

Sporkman
February 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Dual boot.

ugm6hr
February 7th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Call some professors in the department and see what they think.

+1

Check your syllabus.

[h2o]
February 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I agree with the rest. Get in contact with the people running the courses. At my university almost all computer labs runs Solaris or Linux.

Polygon
February 9th, 2009, 03:29 AM
for my computer science course we use eclipse which runs on mac/windows/linux, and the computer labs are a mix of windows and linux. out accounts are also dual windows/linux shell (and gui) accounts as well.

user1397
February 9th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

So what I'm getting is that I should definitely consult the department of said university first in all cases, although most people seem to dual-boot windows and linux anyway.

Well at least I know I won't have to shell out $1200 for a new macbook :)

jay576
February 9th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

So what I'm getting is that I should definitely consult the department of said university first in all cases, although most people seem to dual-boot windows and linux anyway.

Well at least I know I won't have to shell out $1200 for a new macbook :)

You can easily shell out more than that for a nice PC.

user1397
February 10th, 2009, 12:46 AM
You can easily shell out more than that for a nice PC.
I know, but I can also spend a bit less than that and have a decent PC too. I am not anti-mac, or anti-anything really, I'm just stating that mac won't be for me for the purpose of my education.

PurposeOfReason
February 10th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Linux can get you through most, if not all of it, at most colleges. I have two computers, one that is pure linux. It is my main one. My second one is a file server, media server, and has a vista partition for games and if I ever do need windows, which I have not. That is half way through the CS program I'm in.

PS. Gaming on a 42" 1080p screen is amazing.