PDA

View Full Version : Breathe Icon Set (development thread)

MetalMusicAddict
February 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
This is a development/announcement thread for the Breathe Icon Set (https://launchpad.net/breathe-icon-set) on Ubuntu forums.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~breathe-dev/breathe-icon-set/trunk/download/head:/folder.png-20080904183140-r1x72piikty3tiie-2/folder.png?file_id=rendered-20080904180602-4kcena7h7l22ot23-4

Breathe Icon Set is a new effort to create a set of icons mixing the modern style of KDEs "Oxygen" icons with Ubuntu's "Human" set. Oxygen is a good, comprehensive and modern icon set. It doesn't have overly heavy outlines like Tango, but for our needs, it lacks the "Human-touch". So we will use it as a starting point.

We start with a base Oxygen set and replace the icons as suitable ones are created. The idea is to create as modern a set as Oxygen but with that distinctly Human feel.

Also, this set aims to one day be considered for a default replacement for the Human set but is in no way dependent on it.

The set is constantly evolving so what's here one day might not be the next. So try to keep any aesthetic ranting to a minimum. ;) (especially if you offer up no alternative that you sit down and create)

Other info links:

Launchpad page (https://launchpad.net/breathe-icon-set)
Wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/BreatheIconSet)
Mailing List (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-art)

People wanting to help with the creation of this set are encouraged to join the Ubuntu artwork mailing list (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-art) and read over the wiki for resources.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. So now that we have some basic info out of the way lets get down to the more important reason for the thread. A call for help. ;)

Currently there are only 2 people working on this set. Sebastian Porta (https://launchpad.net/~sebastianporta), who is the major artist currently and myself (https://launchpad.net/~coryisatm). I'm handling all of the technical duties as well as altering some of the Oxygen icons to suit what we're doing.

We'll looking for people who can:

Work with Sebastian that can create in a similar/matching style to his.
Take existing Oxygen icons and edit to suite.
To a minor degree, someone to handle wiki work, review the index.theme file and testing.

The mailing list (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-art) is the strongly preferred method of communicating with the Breathe team. Anyone seriously wanting to help with the set should join. I'll also keep an eye out here. All submissions should go HERE (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/BreatheIconSet/Submissions).

Our current focus is the "Power Option" set of icons (example) (http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2171/poweroptionsqb4.png) and the "Start Here" icon. (the one uses in the panel for the main menu)

Once those 2 areas are addressed we will have our 1st release. Any release not mentioned in this 1st post (I will edit as time goes on) is not official. If you like, you can grab from BZR (https://code.launchpad.net/~breathe-dev/breathe-icon-set/trunk) and use as-is.

So keep an eye here. This page and set will constantly change. ;)

MetalMusicAddict
February 7th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Anyone wishing to contribute a translation to Breathe should look HERE (https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/breathe-icon-set/trunk/+pots/breathe-icon-theme).

Thank you.

Kalenjin
February 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I've been watching you're development throught the mailing list. Really love the direction this theme is taking.

Here's a Dutch translation:

Name[nl]=Breathe
Comment[nl]=Breathe pictogrammenthema

I think it's wise to keep the english name. We're used to english names here in the netherlands and we don't have an except substitute that I know of. I've chosen "bries" (light air flow) as a dutch substitute because of the phonetic similarities. "ademen" would be the dutch translation breathing.

Another possibility:

Name[nl]=Bries
Comment[nl]=Bries pictogrammenthema

(edit: second possibility)

GepettoBR
February 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I agree with Kalenjin that we shouldn't translate the name. In Portuguese, the closest adaptations would be "Brisa" (Breeze) and "Sopro" (Breath/Blow)

Name[pt_BR]=Breathe
Comment[pt_BR]=Pacote de ícones Breathe

or

Name[pt_BR]=Brisa
Comment[pt_BR]=Pacote de ícones Brisa

or

Name[pt_BR]=Sopro
Comment[pt_BR]=Pacote de ícones Sopro

While "Sopro" is the closest translation, it sounds weird. If you choose to adapt the names, I'd suggest "Brisa".

abn91c
February 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM
make money online is not a difficult job, just spare your time and get some extra income,
for more detail you can visit here

regrads

Reported

MetalMusicAddict
February 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM
abn91c, it doesn't make sense to quote spam and report it. I just leave a copy hanging around. ;)

So you all think we should just translate the Comment?

spg76
February 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM
So you all think we should just translate the Comment?

I'm also think we should only translate the comment.
Here's a spanish translation:
Comment[es]=Tema de íconos Breathe

meborc
February 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
i think you should take an existing icon theme and use the info there... that is the essence of open source - no need to do double work!

artfwo
February 10th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Hi! Here's my 2 cents in Russian (literal word translation is "Wind"):

Name[ru]=Ветер
Comment[ru]=Тема значков «Ветер»

If only the comment is going to be translated, the "standalone" comment would be identical to the one above, so please take whatever suits the purpose better.

alex.rayu
February 10th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Неу, why "Ветер". Why not "Бриз"? Does not matter a whole lot. The first being more generic.

Nevon
February 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Name[sv]=Andas
Comment[sv]=Ikontema <Andas>

But I agree that you should only translate the comment. We're so used to using English names that it just looks odd to see the name translated - especially when the Swedish translation sounds nothing like the original name. If you decide to only translate the comment, it should look like this:
Comment[sv]=Ikontema Breathe

Giant Speck
February 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hi! Here's my 2 cents in Russian (literal word translation is "Wind"):

Name[ru]=Ветер
Comment[ru]=Тема значков «Ветер»If only the comment is going to be translated, the "standalone" comment would be identical to the one above, so please take whatever suits the purpose better.

Неу, why "Ветер". Why not "Бриз"? Does not matter a whole lot. The first being more generic.

Why not use the actual word for "breathe": Дышать? Heck, maybe even use the command form, дышайте (if I even conjugated that correctly...)?

Or "breath": Вздох or Дыхание?

alex.rayu
February 10th, 2009, 02:55 PM
In Russian, "Breathing" is not a nice name for an icon theme, IMHO =) I would rather go with "Wind" or "Breeze" for it.

Nullack
February 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Having tried out the set, my feedback for Breathe is that it looks mostly good at large sizes but I find the small icons in panels and nautilus to hard on my eyes. The small ones just dont seem to be exceptional. I hope to follow how the project progresses and see it grow.

Giant Speck
February 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM
In Russian, "Breathing" is not a nice name for an icon theme, IMHO =) I would rather go with "Wind" or "Breeze" for it.

In that case, я люблю "бриз" больше чем "ветер." :P

Sand & Mercury
February 11th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I remember reading the mailing list when they were still coming up with names, and people were having trouble deciding between 'Breathe' and 'Breath' - apparently some thought 'breath' as in 'a breath of fresh air', and others though of 'breath' as in 'halitosis'.

I really wish they'd chosen Umoya, which was one of the names someone suggested. Anyway:

* Name[ro]=Respiră
* Comment[ro]=Set de icoane 'respiră'

Romanian translation.

TaTaE
February 13th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I remember reading the mailing list when they were still coming up with names, and people were having trouble deciding between 'Breathe' and 'Breath' - apparently some thought 'breath' as in 'a breath of fresh air', and others though of 'breath' as in 'halitosis'.

I really wish they'd chosen Umoya, which was one of the names someone suggested. Anyway:

* Name[ro]=Respiră
* Comment[ro]=Set de icoane 'respiră'

Romanian translation.

I think this translation would be more appropriate:

* Name[ro]=Briza
* Comment[ro]=Set de iconite 'Briza'

Icoanele sunt alea din biserica... :|

Sand & Mercury
February 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Icoanele sunt alea din biserica... :|
Oops :/ Your translation is better then, thanks. I'm still learning. :lol:

binbash
February 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Name[tr]=Solumak
Comment[tr]=Solumak İkon Teması

Orlsend
February 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Name[es]= Aliento

Comment[es]= Set de Iconos Aliento

(If somehow you could include this in the translation part of launchpad, it will get translated in no time)

Once this great Icon set Is done I will port it into a pigment for the Project Epidermis.

mrdiego
February 18th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Hey I didn't know about this Post!!!
I will make a bookmark right soon ;)

I'm really a big fan from this project and the kind of doing it and the Inkscape-works are highly professional.

Since one week I see the submission and I get happy this project reborn for being something serious. But I have some critics and productive comments I don't know where and how to send them :(

I worked with Inkscape. It's a good program but not a professional one. Why this torture with this? Don't exist a professional program with the same SVG-interface? Maybe a better vector-program with a SVG-interface would make the work much easier for artist's who have the vision or idea to do more icons ... I don't know.

Sorry, maybe you don't know who I am ... I am the owner of the collectors-icon-Set Human-O2. Please don't see my hard work (so much icons - one person) as a Attack to your Human-project. I think it's more a source for ideas ... a alternative meanwhile your Set comes finished ... something for compare ... make peoples hot for the word "Human" ... associate that Human = "quality and good" ... ... ...

In my Set I used only the folder-source for make the modifications for my own Set. I don't have any ideas for coping something from your Set and use these in my own Set. In this I am right correct :)

In the Attach you can see what I really like form the both possible system-buttons ;) They are really pretty and not glossy. I made frome it the icons and use these as default. Beautiful :) But I told before ... I won't use them in my IconSet ;)

The resized Folders make me singing, too :)

Tell me one icon you want I do for you and I will make a pretty one with Inkscape ;)

kind regards,
schollidesign aka mrdiego

GepettoBR
February 18th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Hey I didn't know about this Post!!!
I will make a bookmark right soon ;)

I'm really a big fan from this project and the kind of doing it and the Inkscape-works are highly professional.

Since one week I see the submission and I get happy this project reborn for being something serious. But I have some critics and productive comments I don't know where and how to send them :(

I worked with Inkscape. It's a good program but not a professional one. Why this torture with this? Don't exist a professional program with the same SVG-interface? Maybe a better vector-program with a SVG-interface would make the work much easier for artist's who have the vision or idea to do more icons ... I don't know.

Sorry, maybe you don't know who I am ... I am the owner of the collectors-icon-Set Human-O2. Please don't see my hard work (so much icons - one person) as a Attack to your Human-project. I think it's more a source for ideas ... a alternative meanwhile your Set comes finished ... something for compare ... make peoples hot for the word "Human" ... associate that Human = "quality and good" ... ... ...

In my Set I used only the folder-source for make the modifications for my own Set. I don't have any ideas for coping something from your Set and use these in my own Set. In this I am right correct :)

In the Attach you can see what I really like form the both possible system-buttons ;) They are really pretty and not glossy. I made frome it the icons and use these as default. Beautiful :) But I told before ... I won't use them in my IconSet ;)

The resized Folders make me singing, too :)

Tell me one icon you want I do for you and I will make a pretty one with Inkscape ;)

kind regards,
schollidesign aka mrdiego

I think you're on my watchlist on DeviantART. I used your Human-O2 iconset for a while (I even have the PPA in my sources.lst) before I switched to SudUbuntu recently. Keep up the good work!

MetalMusicAddict
February 18th, 2009, 03:21 AM
@mrdiego and everyone. Please do not use icons from Breath in you set yet. We're trying to get a more complete set together before we put these out there. I had thought to keep the set closed like Oxygen for a while but decide to trust in people. Please respect this simple wish.

mrdiego, You also claim copyright on the set when you clearly not the owner of all these files. I'm unsure you can also combine the licenses the way you are. You might want to look into that.

mrdiego
February 18th, 2009, 03:50 AM
@mrdiego and everyone. Please do not use icons from Breath in you set yet. We're trying to get a more complete set together before we put these out there. I had thought to keep the set closed like Oxygen for a while but decide to trust in people. Please respect this simple wish.

of course ...

mrdiego, You also claim copyright on the set when you clearly not the owner of all these files. I'm unsure you can also combine the licenses the way you are. You might want to look into that.

I am the owner of this collection, but not the owner of most of these icons ;)
The licenses are different but in one point same:
"free use". Some of these includes: "non commercial" and/or "non modifications".
There is nothing incorrect in this Set ...

Points of interest:

But I have some critics and productive comments I don't know where and how to send them

Tell me one icon you want I do for you and I will make a pretty one with Inkscape

... one more!!!

What is with KDE 4???

:)

MetalMusicAddict
February 18th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I am the owner of this collect, but not the owner of most of these icons ;)
The licenses are different but in one point the same:
"free use". Some of these includes: "non commercial" and/or "non modifications".
There is nothing incorrect in this Set ...

You say that here sure, but your DeviantArt page says: ©2008-2009 ~schollidesign You cannot copyright copyrighted material. It's like me copyrighting a mix CD I put together.

That's why I bring it up. Please fix it and remove the Breathe icons from your set.

Also, not all free licenses are compatible. Like I said, look into it.

What is with KDE 4???
I don't understand this question. If it's "Why are you using the Oxygen icons?", please read our Launchpad and wiki pages.

Also all necessary ways to get directly involved with Breathe are linked to in the 1st post.

As this has gone off topic and isn't about development of Breathe please reply in PM.

mrdiego
February 18th, 2009, 04:30 AM
You say that here sure, but your DeviantArt page says: ©2008-2009 ~schollidesign You cannot copyright copyrighted material. It's like me copyrighting a mix CD I put together.

It's different. This collectorswork, like others (Hydroxygen, Mashup, Boulevard, ...), contains many many work and spending time that they are worth for a own license, too. What you wrote above is the change of the icon-licence. But I haven't changed any licence-conditions, like nobody of the others collectorsworks did. For no misunderstanding... This Collectorswork have a licence; all files inside preserve their original authors given licences. It's a collection. I already don't see nothing wrong in it ...

But your right. It's coming to offtopic ...

My ask was if the BreatheIconSet will be only for Gnome or for KDE, too?

MetalMusicAddict
February 18th, 2009, 04:35 AM
My ask was if the BreatheIconSet will be only for Gnome or for KDE, too?

PLEASE read the info contained in the 1st post. It would heve answered 90% of your questions. ;)

mrv
February 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Name[fi]=Henkäys
Comment[fi]=Henkäys-kuvaketeema

or, if using the "Breathe" for all languages:

Name[fi]=Breathe
Comment[fi]=Breathe-kuvaketeema

NOTE: Please use ubuntu-translators (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators) mailing list for the next time, it's much more suitable place to ask translations from than Ubuntu Forums.

mrdiego
February 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Name=Breathe
Name[ar]=
Name[az]=
Name[be]=
Name[bg]=
Name[bn]=
Name[bn_IN]=
Name[br]=
Name[bs]=
Name[ca]=
Name[cs]=
Name[cy]=
Name[da]=
Name[de]=Atem
Name[dz]=
Name[el]=
Name[en_CA]=Breathe
Name[en_GB]=Breathe
Name[es]=Aliento
Name[et]=
Name[eu]=
Name[fa]=
Name[fi]=Henkäys
Name[fr]=
Name[gl]=
Name[gu]=
Name[he]=
Name[hi]=
Name[hr]=
Name[hu]=
Name[id]=
Name[it]=
Name[ja]=
Name[ka]=
Name[ko]=
Name[ku]=
Name[lt]=
Name[lv]=
Name[mg]=
Name[mk]=
Name[ml]=
Name[mn]=
Name[mr]=
Name[ms]=
Name[nb]=
Name[ne]=
Name[nl]=Bries
Name[nn]=
Name[or]=
Name[pa]=
Name[pl]=
Name[pt]=
Name[pt_BR]=Brisa
Name[ro]=Briza
Name[ru]=Вздох
Name[si]=
Name[sk]=
Name[sl]=
Name[sq]=
Name[sr]=
Name[sr@Latn]=
Name[sv]=Andas
Name[ta]=
Name[th]=
Name[tk]=
Name[tr]=Solumak
Name[uk]=
Name[vi]=
Name[wa]=
Name[xh]=
Name[zh_CN]=
Name[zh_HK]=
Name[zh_TW]=
Comment=Breathe Icon Theme
Comment[ar]=
Comment[az]=
Comment[be]=
Comment[bg]=
Comment[bn]=
Comment[bn_IN]=
Comment[br]=
Comment[bs]=
Comment[ca]=
Comment[cs]=
Comment[cy]=
Comment[da]=
Comment[de]=Thema von Symbolen 'Atem'
Comment[dz]=
Comment[el]=
Comment[en_CA]=Breathe Icon Theme
Comment[en_GB]=Breathe Icon Theme
Comment[es]=Set de Iconos Aliento
Comment[et]=
Comment[eu]=
Comment[fa]=
Comment[fi]=Henkäys-kuvaketeema
Comment[fr]=
Comment[gl]=
Comment[gu]=
Comment[he]=
Comment[hi]=
Comment[hr]=
Comment[hu]=
Comment[id]=
Comment[it]=
Comment[ja]=
Comment[ka]=
Comment[ko]=
Comment[ku]=
Comment[lt]=
Comment[lv]=
Comment[mg]=
Comment[mk]=
Comment[ml]=
Comment[mn]=
Comment[mr]=
Comment[ms]=
Comment[nb]=
Comment[ne]=
Comment[nl]=Bries pictogrammenthema
Comment[nn]=
Comment[or]=
Comment[pa]=
Comment[pl]=
Comment[pt]=
Comment[pt_BR]=Pacote de ícones Brisa
Comment[ro]=Set de iconite 'Briza'
Comment[ru]=Тема значков «Вздох»
Comment[sk]=
Comment[sl]=
Comment[sq]=
Comment[sr]=
Comment[sr@Latn]=
Comment[sv]=Ikontema <Andas>
Comment[ta]=
Comment[th]=
Comment[tk]=
Comment[tr]=Solumak İkon Teması
Comment[uk]=
Comment[vi]=
Comment[wa]=
Comment[xh]=
Comment[zh_CN]=
Comment[zh_HK]=
Comment[zh_TW]=

I included "Name[sv]=..." ( this missing ;) ) and the German lenguage.

artfwo
February 20th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Current Russian:

Name[ru]=Вздох
Comment[ru]=Тема значков «Вздох»
is obviously the worst. "Бриз" is the best of all suggestions so far...

Giant Speck
February 21st, 2009, 01:46 AM
Current Russian:

Name[ru]=Вздох
Comment[ru]=Тема значков «Вздох»is obviously the worst. "Бриз" is the best of all suggestions so far...

Yeah... it's kind a horrible sound, with it ending in x and all.

PryGuy
February 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
In Russian, "Breathing" is not a nice name for an icon theme, IMHO =) I would rather go with "Wind" or "Breeze" for it.Exactly! Wind or Ветер sounds better. "Вздох" sounds terrible, it translates back to English as "sigh". You see, these words are about the same but the meaning differs. "Бриз" is cool, yet I think it originates from the word "Breate".

P.S. Giant Speck and alex.rayu, I'm very impressed with your Russian language skills... :)

Giant Speck
February 21st, 2009, 11:07 AM
Exactly! Wind or Ветер sounds better. "Вздох" sounds terrible, it translates back to English as "sigh". You see, these words are about the same but the meaning differs. "Бриз" is cool, yet I think it originates from the word "Breate".

P.S. Giant Speck and alex.rayu, I'm very impressed with your Russian language skills... :)

I think Бриз is just a cognate of the English word breeze, seeing as though they are pronounced the exact same way.

I think alex.rayu is a native Russian speaker. Я просто американец, который изучал русский язык для его правительства. :)

Nan0fire
July 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
"Bries" for NL is wrong, for it translates "breeze", not "breathe", i'd say that it's:
Name[nl]= Adem
Comment[nl]= Adem Pictogrammenthema

MetalMusicAddict
July 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM
Anyone wishing to contribute a translation to Breathe should look HERE (https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/breathe-icon-set/trunk/+pots/breathe-icon-theme).

Thank you.

Tibuda
July 22nd, 2009, 12:45 AM

Thank you.

Should I translate the word "Breathe" or keep it in english? The translation in brazilian portuguese does not look very nice.

MetalMusicAddict
July 22nd, 2009, 01:32 AM
Should I translate the word "Breathe" or keep it in english? The translation in brazilian portuguese does not look very nice.

As it's a title, no need. Only the descriptions.

Pondussi
March 30th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Most of the svg files are still somewhat broken in 0.51 which I downloaded from gnome-look.org. They all show text fragments inside the icon area, behind the icon in the upper left corner. I haven't looked at them using Gnome, only using KDE.

BTW: I would prefer to keep the name "Breathe" as theme name despite of the language. It's a name and names shouldn't be translated. Your distribution is called "Ubuntu" in all languages too.

Austin25
March 30th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Ok, as Juliet said, "A rose by any other name would smell sweet," so why must we argue about the name?