PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 18 months support.

raj.adluri@gmail.com
February 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone out there using the ubuntu operating system,

I am a big fan of ubuntu and I have been using Ubuntu for atleast an year now. I started with 7.04 and then I upgraded to 7.10 after six months. When the 8.04 was released, and when I downloaded the software to install it, I realised that the video drivers are no longer supported in the new version.

I would have sticked with the 7.10 version only, but I read in the documentation that after 18 months, i will no longer receive the security updates which really worried me.... Please suggest me an alternative... I am very conscious about security of my PC and would like to keep my PC update with all the latest patches and at the same time like to always have the latest version running on my PC.

taurus
February 7th, 2009, 05:45 PM
What video card do you have?

raj.adluri@gmail.com
February 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I think I have VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP display driver. I have now installed the latest version of Ubuntu on another PC but i am afraid that even this PC will not be supported going further if a new version is shipped for every 6 months.

Instead please let me know how to install / download the drivers for old systems.

nikgare
February 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Try using the livecd of 8.10 and see if your video card is recognised, and which screen modes it lets you use