PDA

View Full Version : Video demo of Gnome-do's Docky - see why it rocks!

Mazza558
February 7th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Here's a quick video demo showing some of the cool features of Docky, in combination with a pretty nice (IMO) layout I thought up.

Basically, the idea is to have docky as the main app launcher/window manager at the top, from which you can just do things. Having docky at the top is actually pretty fun, and I feel less guilty and copycat-ish than having it at the bottom.

Now that the bottom is free of anything, it can serve as a hidden "misc" panel, where you can control things you don't need to use as much - notification area, date/time, volume, any other applets you want. In the video, I've kept the apps/places/sys menu simply because there's no alternative for docky yet.

Overall, this combo gives a great blend of minimalism and function.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LVag6i42Og

If you like it, Digg it here (http://digg.com/linux_unix/Video_Demo_of_Docky_on_Ubuntu_9_04_An_awesome_comb ination) - it'd be nice to give Docky more exposure, and show that it's not simply a cheap knock-off of other docks.

klange
February 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Docky needs more GUI configuration options, and separate theming options from the rest of Gnome-Do. But overall, I like, and am starting to replace Cairo-Dock with it.

Mazza558
February 7th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Docky needs more GUI configuration options, and separate theming options from the rest of Gnome-Do. But overall, I like, and am starting to replace Cairo-Dock with it.

The branch I'm using has several more options, like putting it at the top of the screen, or the option of a clock.

Islington
February 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
The branch I'm using has several more options, like putting it at the top of the screen, or the option of a clock.

how in the world did you get it to install? I keep getting the CS103 error when I try.

Mazza558
February 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
how in the world did you get it to install? I keep getting the CS103 error when I try.

I think I did a build-dep before compiling it, so I got all the dev packages as well.

Mazza558
February 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
All Docky needs now is a better way to handle multiple windows, and I'm set.

BuffaloX
February 7th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Nice. :D

Two questions:
1 Does the Open Source ATI/AMD driver works with Compiz?
2 How do you make those text comments for your video?

Mazza558
February 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Nice. :D

Two questions:
1 Does the Open Source ATI/AMD driver works with Compiz?
2 How do you make those text comments for your video?

1. Yes
2. They're called Annotations and you get an option to add them if you log in and check your videos (or when you upload new ones)

pt123
February 8th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I am assuming you are not using the standard Compiz in Ubuntu to get the snow effect?

I wish they would include the elements plugin.

Watching the snow is therapeutic, esp. in 40C temperatures.

bgs100
February 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM
What 'branch' has these wonderful options you speak of?
And is there a menu and/or show desktop button in this branch?

Edit: Nevermind. It was a "duh" kinda thing. #-o

vishzilla
February 8th, 2009, 04:31 AM
GNOME-Do has come a long way. I wonder if this becomes a standard for some distros. I fancy such a utility

juanmoreno92
February 8th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I would use Docky but it uses Mono.

Mono = Microsoft = evil

Call me a fanboy....I dare you.

Mazza558
February 8th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I am assuming you are not using the standard Compiz in Ubuntu to get the snow effect?

I wish they would include the elements plugin.

Watching the snow is therapeutic, esp. in 40C temperatures.

Yeah, I compiled the snow plugin seperately.

BuffaloX
February 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM
1. Yes
2. They're called Annotations and you get an option to add them if you log in and check your videos (or when you upload new ones)

1: I have now ordered an ATI 4830 I like that they have opened their specs for OSS drivers. (My old graphics card just burned out.)
2: OK I suppose It's a Youtube feature then.

RATM_Owns
February 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
How can I install this in Arch?

days_of_ruin
February 8th, 2009, 09:13 PM
GNOME-Do has come a long way. I wonder if this becomes a standard for some distros. I fancy such a utility

It is standard for some distros, look on the gnome-do install page.

sujoy
February 9th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Here's a quick video demo showing some of the cool features of Docky, in combination with a pretty nice (IMO) layout I thought up.

Basically, the idea is to have docky as the main app launcher/window manager at the top, from which you can just do things. Having docky at the top is actually pretty fun, and I feel less guilty and copycat-ish than having it at the bottom.

Now that the bottom is free of anything, it can serve as a hidden "misc" panel, where you can control things you don't need to use as much - notification area, date/time, volume, any other applets you want. In the video, I've kept the apps/places/sys menu simply because there's no alternative for docky yet.

Overall, this combo gives a great blend of minimalism and function.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LVag6i42Og

If you like it, Digg it here (http://digg.com/linux_unix/Video_Demo_of_Docky_on_Ubuntu_9_04_An_awesome_comb ination) - it'd be nice to give Docky more exposure, and show that it's not simply a cheap knock-off of other docks.

dude, next time try to use a screencast app, like recordmydesktop or xvidcap

damis648
February 9th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I still wish I could figure out why it doesn't work on my system.:(

theApokalypsis
February 9th, 2009, 03:37 AM
1: I have now ordered an ATI 4830 I like that they have opened their specs for OSS drivers. (My old graphics card just burned out.)
2: OK I suppose It's a Youtube feature then.

Running a 4870 myself. using the fglrx ones from AMD/ATI but hoping the OSS drivers will get some good 3D functionality for compiz :)

Mazza I see you are running Compiz in Jaunty as well.what drivers if I might ask with that ATI card?

EDIT: found the bzr how to. see how it turns out :D

Mazza558
February 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Mazza I see you are running Compiz in Jaunty as well.what drivers if I might ask with that ATI card?

The free, open source ATI ones. Ever since Jaunty they've been very responsive.

theApokalypsis
February 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
The free, open source ATI ones. Ever since Jaunty they've been very responsive.

nice! im running a new R700 chipset card (4870) so I have been waiting for 3D support. Only a matter of time.

:P

btw are you running Jaunty as your main OS or still testing it?

Mazza558
February 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
nice! im running a new R700 chipset card (4870) so I have been waiting for 3D support. Only a matter of time.

:P

btw are you running Jaunty as your main OS or still testing it?

Main OS since about Alpha 2, at least on my laptop.

jastonas
December 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Has anyone tried docky on dual monitor setup?
I cant find a way to have a panel on each screen and recognise which windows are open on respective screens.