PDA

View Full Version : EXISTS/ JOIN in SQL Query

s.fox
February 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hi,

I am experiencing some real trouble with some SQL. I have 4 tables that are structured as follows:

user;

userID
userForname
userSurname

group:

groupID
groupName

resource:

resourceID
resourceName
resourceOwner

groupResource:

groupID
resourceID

Basically the problem is this:

A user can share resources with groups that they belong to. They can only share resources that they own. If a resource is shared it appears in the groupResource table. I want to produce a list of resources shared to a particular group that a certain user owns. I would also like to reverse the query and produce a list of resources that have not been shared by a particular user to a certain group. I think I need to use a JOIN and also maybe a EXISTS in my sql. All the ID's are numerical.

I really stuck and getting nowhere slow. If anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. If any clarification is needed please don't hesitate to ask.

-Ash R

unutbu
February 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
How do we know when a user belongs to a group?
Some example data might help.

Also, you might run into trouble having a table named "group". At least on MySQL, it appears a query like "select * from group" will generate an error because group is a reserved word.

s.fox
February 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hi,

I forgot to mention i have a table userGroup. This table contains 2 columns userID and groupID. It shows which users belong to which group. I have attached in this post some sample in the correct table structure.

I think I need to use some sort of join to ackomplish my goal, but I am really not sure.

Thank you for taking an interest in this problem i am experiencing.

s.fox
February 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Good news!

I was able to sort it out on my own. Thanks anyway.

-Ash R