PDA

View Full Version : do you find KDE's spelling irritating / annoying?

mahela007
February 7th, 2009, 02:53 PM
It drives me nuts when I see the name of every application begin with K.
Kword? Konqueror? Kate? Konsole? KDE is a GREAT desktop environment but it just...:D bugs me to see everything spelled wrong

Mazza558
February 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
It's better than it used to be. At least now it actually tells you what the program is (e.g Konqueror Web Browser)

SuperSonic4
February 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM
It's got better but it doesn't really bother me. Never did

Kate isn't spelt wrong btw ;)

mahela007
February 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
It's got better but it doesn't really bother me. Never did

Kate isn't spelt wrong btw ;)
yeah..
I just want ask the people who make KDE /related applications to please reduce the amount of programs named that way atleast in the future

Paqman
February 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Actually it really does. Especially since a lot of distros seem to think happy menu is a full menu. Thousands of branching trees of k-words does not make for easy navigation. The first thing I tend to do on offending distros is go through, uninstall half the cruft and rename the rest to something more sensible. If I can be bothered. If I can't, then that distro will go in the bin pretty rapidly. A usable default setup is not too much to ask, IMO.

Still, it could be a lot worse. The Windows menu does my head in. No categories at all for apps and everything is listed by the company that owns it. Wtf? Windows = not user-friendly!

SuperSonic4
February 7th, 2009, 03:15 PM
yeah..
I just want ask the people who make KDE /related applications to please reduce the amount of programs named that way atleast in the future

The most annoying thing for me is when browsing adept for a program, there are hundreds under K making it hard to find anything

Skripka
February 7th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Actually it really does. Especially since a lot of distros seem to think happy menu is a full menu. Thousands of branching trees of k-words does not make for easy navigation. The first thing I tend to do on offending distros is go through, uninstall half the cruft and rename the rest to something more sensible.

Still, it could be a lot worse. The Windows menu does my head in. No categories at all for apps and everything is listed by the company that owns it. Wtf? Windows = not user-friendly!

You mean you didn't know that Fallout3 was written by Bethesda Software Works Ltd. ???

Most of the K______________ softwares I seldom use enough to keep installed anyway, excepting Kate and Konqueror. K__________ is less annoying than i____________ something IMHO. Many of the K__________ softwares can be read as a word, not *name-of-vowel*+word.

vishzilla
February 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I love the Ks :D

qazwsx
February 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Love it!
More konvinient with Ks

Bachstelze
February 7th, 2009, 03:40 PM
yeah..

I think they couldn't care less about your opinion. Just who do you think you are, to come and tell them how they should name the applications THEY code?

jimi_hendrix
February 7th, 2009, 03:52 PM
ya it bugs me

Paqman
February 7th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I think they couldn't care less about your opinion. Just who do you think you are, to come and tell them how they should name the applications THEY code?

Yes, pesky users! Why don't they keep their mouths shut? Say no to feedback! And while you're at it, ignore all bug reports! Better yet: never release anything! Keep all that lovely code to yourself!

abn91c
February 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Kubuntu Krocks :lolflag:

dog-soldier
February 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Yes, pesky users! Why don't they keep their mouths shut? Say no to feedback! And while you're at it, ignore all bug reports! Better yet: never release anything! Keep all that lovely code to yourself!

:lolflag:):P now that was funny

nope dont bother me at all

Solarium
February 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post

+1 Totally agree that kind of arrogance is more annoying then then all the K's .

poisonkiller
February 7th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Yes, the K-s drive me nuts. It's so annoying. -.-

abn91c
February 7th, 2009, 04:21 PM
If Kyou kdont Klike KDE Kdont Kuse it

malspa
February 7th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Don't use KDE if it bugs you so much. Jeez, people will complain about anything.

mahela007
February 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM
yes.. thank you for all your democratic views.
it was just a thought and just in case anyone can't read well i DID say the KDE was a GREAT DISTRO.
I don't think anyone should post any longer on this thread. It might turn into a full blown argument and we don't want that? RIGHT?

boltz
February 7th, 2009, 04:37 PM
It's a matter of opinion

SuperSonic4
February 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
yes.. thank you for all your democratic views.
it was just a thought and just in case anyone can't read well i DID say the KDE was a GREAT DISTRO.
I don't think anyone should post any longer on this thread. It might turn into a full blown argument and we don't want that? RIGHT?

technically KDE is a desktop environment ;)

ntowakbh
February 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Yes I do sometimes, I don't, if you alphabetize your menus...everything would fall under K.

There are some exceptions. Like Amarok. I actually like the K in this place. If it's in the middle of the word, even when it messes up spelling, it doesn't bother me as much.

Then again, I'm not a KDE user, so I don't have too much of a right to talk.

Polygon
February 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM

lol thank you. that was awesome.

and ive heard they are moving away from the k naming convention. But i do agree that having everything starting with K is really annoying.

mahela007
February 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM
technically KDE is a desktop environment ;)
my mistake.

mohitchawla
February 7th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Leaving the "annoying" part (which doesn't matter *once* you get to know the applications), I think it can rather confuse the beginners, who to start with, don't know the difference between Gnome and KDE or probably don't know much about DEs/WMs, much less know about the applications that come with these DEs. So it would be better if they just added descriptors with the applications. I mean I personally tried KDE with Desktop BSD when I was *just* starting out with the whole BSD/Linux thing and was looking for (actually I was entering keywords in the "find" utility) console/terminal and was surprised it wasn't there (but eventually saw the terminal looking icon named Konsole).

Kingsley
February 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Annoying spelling is a small price to pay for superior applications.

hyperdude111
February 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Yep they really don't care at all about the people they write the software for! Do these developers would rather no one used their stuff, than to have a large user base that made constructive criticsm.

It is stupid if you do not voice your opinion. Developers make software for the users, they listen to the users. You always hear about people complaining that Linux is too hard to learn and use and because of that you now hear all the big distros focussing on "User Friendliness" and "Ease of Use"

One of the reasons i like gnome more than kde is that all the gtk apps are not called "gfox" "gnautilus" "gterm" this would kill me.

Your statement is like telling the media not to criticise a government because it is "their" government and nobody is in a position to complain.

To finish they DO want to know what people think if they didn't we would not see all of these surveys about "your impressions" and usage stats. If your statement was true all software would be closed source and it would never be released to the public.

jenkinbr
February 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Kword? Konqueror? Kate? Konsole? KDE is a GREAT desktop environment but it just...:D bugs me to see everything spelled wrong
KDE Knaming Ksucks!

doorknob60
February 7th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I don't kare what it's kalled, as long is it's good software (which it is). Besides, the new Kmenu organizes it by the type of program now, not the name of it. For example, Opera, Firefox, and Konqueror all show up as "Web Browser" in the menu, with a subkaption of the name of the software, so new users kan tell what it does and whatnot :) The names never bugged me at all before though either.

BGFG
February 7th, 2009, 09:20 PM
The naming convention is actually kind of convenient as I use Gnome, so once I see 'k' in add-remove I can browse past.
But I am glad to hear that they are moving away from that naming convention, what probably seemed cool and distinguishable at first has gotten....well, I don't know :)
All in all it doesn't seem to bother KDE users so whatever man...

MickS
February 7th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Never bothered me, in fact I quite like it.

Mick

OutOfReach
February 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
It doesn't bother me at all.

klerfayt
February 7th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Absolutely, it even goes so far that anything in ubuntu menu starting with k is suspect to be kde application. I've become paranoid.

cmat
February 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Apple has an "i" infront of everything what can KDE have a "K". At least KDE's names are clever.

chucky chuckaluck
February 7th, 2009, 10:49 PM
whenever i would install kde-core (3.5), when i used ubuntu, it would make installing kde apps a lot easier - just look through the 'Ks'.

Skripka
February 7th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Apple has an "i" infront of everything

Whoever came up with that idea in the Apple marketing department ought to shoot themselves before they reproduce.

BTW-y'all I think I installed Linux on my Cat accidentally. I bought a cat scratching board, called the "iScratch" (Yes, guys & gals, you read that right). Reilly, the cat, wants nothing to do with it--even when said "iScratch" is coated in catnip.

Firestem4
February 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I am impartial with the K's. I use Kubuntu. I don't hate or like the spelling system. I find it does make it easier to find KDE native app's. (Even though I can use anything for Ubuntu, the laptop i have linux installed on has a very small hard drive) so the less libs i need and etc the better.

Some of the names are cool though. But iI agree with Skripa. I can't stand any product with an "i" in front of it. Except the iRiver. (The company was around long before the iPod was) and the product is so much better. =-D

happysmileman
February 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Developers don't care what you think of the name of software, they still care what you think about how it works or if there are bugs.
Anyone turning "It's the developers choice what to call software" into "Developers don't care about users" needs to seriously reconsider whether their argument is worth making a fool of themselves.

Secondly many new KDE apps don't use this, they're moving away from it because of so many people getting anal and aggresive over something as trivial as a name (Ok may not be the official reason :P, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have anything to do with it). Plasma, Gwenview, Dolphin, Parley, Ark, Juk, Dragonplayer, Okular etc.

Thridly the KDE menu can sort by application dexcription instead of name (and I think it's default), so rather than having all the 'K' programs together in menu, you'd have all the web browsers together, all the BT clients together etc.

Foster Grant
February 8th, 2009, 05:58 PM

I kan't see anything to kontend with in the KDE spellings. Therefore I kannot understand what you're komplaining about.

Kould it be you are just being kranky without a kause?

:D :popcorn:

Rokurosv
February 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
It bothers me for some apps, for instance KTorrent, Kate, Kwrite, Konqueror are all fine by me. Korganizer, Kmail, Kmix, Kcolorchooser and others kinda bothers me. I also find strange that the Dragon Player doesn't have a K, guess KDragon Player would sound weird.

ELD
February 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Where did he "tell" them anything? Did you even read it, he wanted to ask.

User feedback is important, your attitude for staff member is terrible

Luffield
February 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Of kourse it's annoying.

chucky chuckaluck
February 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
It bothers me for some apps, for instance KTorrent, Kate, Kwrite, Konqueror are all fine by me. Korganizer, Kmail, Kmix, Kcolorchooser and others kinda bothers me. I also find strange that the Dragon Player doesn't have a K, guess KDragon Player would sound weird.

it could be like Kuh-Dragon player. you know, like 'kaboom!".