PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Increasing size of Ubuntus partition

Qwertylol
February 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Sorry if wrong place.

OK, so I have about 3 gigs of disk space I removed from vista. I want to move it to ubuntu, how can I do this? I don't have the option under disk management in vista or gparted in ubuntu...

Installed using ubuntu live cd.

Thanks.

overlord.gaurav
February 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
You can install gparted on your ubuntu system.
And once installed you edit the partition table from there.

Edit:
To install gparted, open a terminal a type:

sudo apt-get install gparted

To run gparted type:

sudo gparted

avtolle
February 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
You will need to do this from the Live CD, as the system partition is mounted when using Ubuntu and you cannot resize, etc., a mounted partition. You could also use the gparted Live CD for this as well. Good luck, and post back with questions.

Qwertylol
February 8th, 2009, 03:39 PM
You will need to do this from the Live CD, as the system partition is mounted when using Ubuntu and you cannot resize, etc., a mounted partition. You could also use the gparted Live CD for this as well. Good luck, and post back with questions.

I put in the CD then what?

earobinson
February 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM
reboot your computer, boot of the live cd (this makes no changes) then run gparted from there!

Qwertylol
February 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I'm on ubuntu live cd, gparted but when I right click ext3, and click extend it doen't let me increase its size, how do I do it?

The free space is before the "ubuntu partition" (the one that collectivly contains the two ubuntu partitions)