PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WPA connection only works at ridiculously short ranges

docjones2
February 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I installed Ubuntu months ago, I've been loving it, I was connected wirelessly to the internet via WPA2 encryption flawlessly.

Last night I changed the encryption to WPA and changed the encryption key as necesary in the keyring and the nm-applet. It only connects successfully if I am sitting next to the router. If I move so much as 6 feet away, I lose the connection, despite the fact that the nm-applet says my signal strength is in the 60-90% range.

I updated the encryption key on my windows partition and it works at regular ranges.

Does anybody know why this may be and how I might fix it? If it requires replacing/updating my nm-applett/keyring manager, can anybody tell me what my choices are? My router is a D-Link DIR-615, I have reset it to factory default at least once trying to fix this problem, I have also changed the ssid (in both locations) several times because the nm-applet seemed to refuse to use any password other than the old one on the keyring, which refused to allow me to change it, but that isn't the problem anymore, since the network has a new ssid there are no remembered passwords.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you.

lisati
February 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I had problems connecting for a while too, but only noticed it if the laptop had been on for a while: my laptop was on an old school desk at one end of a two-seater couch, and my router and modem were at the other end. I eventually gave up and purchased a cable to have it hard wired. I have since replaced the router and modem with a combined unit, but retained the wired connection as it's usually faster.

docjones2
February 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Using a wired connection isn't an option here. Of course, a wired connection will give me access to the internet, but it won't be wireless, thus defeating the purpose of the solution.

Tried connecting again today. The nm-applet appeared to be connecting initially (both orbs were green) but then a balloon popped up saying I was disconected.

Something is wrong with my card's range. How would I go about increasing the power to my card? I know my windows partition has software that lets me choose low medium or high power on the card, I haven't seen the linux equivalent.