PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install Ubuntu 8.10

rweaver4
February 7th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I have searched the forums without finding a solution.

I have tried to install Ubuntu 8.10 on my PC which is currently dual booting Windows XP Home with Windows XP Pro. I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.10-desktop-i386.iso and Ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso which I have burnt to a CD.

Can anybody suggest why the system will successfully boot to either CD and offer me the language selection then go to the next page where I select “Install Ubuntu” and then do nothing.

The screen is not frozen as I can access each of the menu items and the function options, but none of them respond when I press enter.

Any helpful suggestions are most welcome.

Windows XP Home Service Pack 3
3.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
Gigabyte GA-MA770-S3P board
2 hard disks, 1 320 GB SATA, 1 250 GB IDE
2 CD/DVD drives
4 GB RAM

Thanks,
Robert

Svensk023
February 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM
The only thing that comes readily to mind is that you have a SATA and IDE HDD's, and it is just taking the partition manager awhile to read them. But im not totally sure if that is it.
I just freshly installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my mothers desktop today and since she had 2 300GB HDD's plugged into it, the partition manager took forever to read all of them

rweaver4
February 7th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Fourth download and burn worked fine. Not impressed.

ryandamartini
February 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM
@ OP

I had the exact same problem. I solved it by booting into LIVE CD on safe mode then installing from there.

NetworkGuy
February 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Always burn ISO's at the lowest speed your drive will go. Then check the disk before installing to make sure it burned correctly.