PDA

View Full Version : Explain On-Disk's Ubuntu Server Price...

kevin11951
February 7th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Please see the attached image...

What are they doing?

jpkotta
February 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I don't think there are any restrictions on charging for Ubuntu. Why anyone would pay for it, I have no idea.

cariboo
February 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Your screen shot is out of context. Most of the prices I see are very reasonable. them seem to be filling a niche with their products. There is nothing wrong with selling Linux. Check out the other threads about the same thing.

Jim

lisati
February 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM
It costs the company money to have the disks available.....

kevin11951
February 7th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I don't think there are any restrictions on charging for Ubuntu. Why anyone would pay for it, I have no idea.

Your screen shot is out of context. Most of the prices I see are very reasonable. them seem to be filling a niche with their products. There is nothing wrong with selling Linux. Check out the other threads about the same thing.

Jim

It costs the company money to have the disks available.....

I am not saying its bad to sell linux, nor anything of the sort. I am just asking why they charge so much more for the server disk over all the others?

igknighted
February 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I am not saying its bad to sell linux, nor anything of the sort. I am just asking why they charge so much more for the server disk over all the others?

Because companies are used to paying thousands for sever software, so $36 seems like a bargain. Desktop OS prices are far less, so $36 feels like more for the desktop user.

Also, did you look into whether the server disk comes with any documentation?

klange
February 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I believe it's because, when buying desktop CDs, you buy quite a few, so $1x100 = $100, but when buying server CDs, you're probably only buying two or three: $36x2 = $108 - they want to make about the same amount from each purchaser. The disks themselves are extremely cheap - more pennies a piece.