PDA

View Full Version : Hello - new user

roycrom
December 20th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Hi,

Well as suggested when I registered, I came to say hello :)

I have installed gentoo linux quite a few times, so I would say I'm more than a newb, however, recently A friend of the family, running a Windows 98 machine went on broadband - managed to set it up correctly and connect to the internet - THEY HAD NO FIREWALL!!! So, as their PC was bought from a dealer, and their support had run out, I tried reinstalling Windows because the PC became infested within minutes. The CD had no drivers for the Mobo - a via KT133 K7 if I recall, I tried Windows 2000 as I had an old copy, but the mobo drivers not found there either.

I decided to install Ubuntu for them (Bearing in mind that this is for a 50-60 year old Windows user) as I thought that seeing as all they really wanted to do was ebay and scanning-printing-copying with their brand spanking new LEXMARK Printer.... needless to say I have had problems with that... but apart from that I would just like to say that Ubuntu was extremely easy to install, maybe a couple of extra default themes would be nice as it is slightly dark, but I was very impressed, the CPU is a 900Mhz with 128 Mb RAM, it isn't quite as nippy as Windows 98 was, but it is still very much usable, I am going to shove an extra bit of RAM in to bump it up to 196 Mb - I think the box will run like a dream at that point. But the chipset was found, allowing up to 1280x1024, full colour depth, onboard sound detected correct, cable modem, memory cards plugged into the printer were also detected and popped up on the desktop (very impressive - if I could only get my gentoo to do that lol)

After looking through the forums here I can safely say that the community is very much on a par with the high standard of the gentoo community, great stuff... now, on to the hardware forum for my 2nd post - lexmark p4350 It shall be entitled... although I fear I know the answer already. looking forward to picking your brains and hoping I can be of some use with my gentoo experience. :razz:

greenway
December 20th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Welcome, roycom!

earobinson
December 20th, 2005, 04:04 PM
hey

Perfect Storm
December 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Always nice with some positive feedbacks ^^

roycrom
December 20th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Well, I guess I didn't reveal all about myself, I've worked as a (sort of) sys admin for the last 4 years.

I have Solaris, Windows and Linux experience, I'm pretty clued up on the basics of networking. I have written many a bash script and I scare small children with the speed of my VI editing. (No emacs - vi flamewars please :rolleyes: )

Also coming from gentoo I know how important it is to keep your packages up to date, I had to get the universal repository going after the initial install so I could download firestarter but I did it via the gui so that link was a good read. I even managed to get firestarter to start on boot with a little sudo magic.

Thanks for the welcome guys, I look forward to sharing the knowledge :D