PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] network connection setup

rudi009
February 7th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I have just installed ubuntu and need help in setting up a new connection to connect to the internet. in windows I use a ppoe connection;it requires a username and password to connect.help??

tommcd
February 7th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Ubuntu comes with pppoeconf installed. To set up your pppoe connection run sudo pppoeconf and follow the prompts.

Is this a DSL pppoe connection? Your DSL modem may have the ability to set the user name and password directly into the DSL modem / router's configuration. This way the connection is always on, like a cable modem. You then no longer need to use pppoeconf to connect. The pppoeconf should work for you though.

rudi009
February 7th, 2009, 06:59 AM
it is a dsl connection but i have no idea about the the automatic thing you are talking about.

tommcd
February 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM
it is a dsl connection but i have no idea about the the automatic thing you are talking about.

You would have to consult the DSL modem's manual. When I first started using Ubuntu I was using Verizon DSL. I first used pppoeconf to connect. Then I found out that I could enter my user name and password directly into the Westell DSL modem by typing 192.168.1.1 into a web browser. This got me into the router's configuration so I could enter the user name and password. Google for the manual for your brand of DSL modem, or ask your ISP's tech support to find out if your modem can be setup this way.
See the posts by Physcsdrk in this thread for more info on the Westell DSL modems:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=196097

In the meantime, run sudp pppoeconf to setup your DSL pppoe connection.