PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 64 and System Commander

bmoagu
February 7th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I installed Unbuntu 64 under system commander 9 in its own partion. During installation I made sure that "install boot loader" was checked off as an advanced option. When I boot the computer System Commander shows me an Icon for a Linux installation but Ubuntu will not start because the boot loader is supposedly not installed. I reinstalled Ubuntu 64, again making sure the option to install the boot loader was checked.
Same problem. System Commander 9 otherwise correctly gives me the option to boot to the three versions of Windows installed on this machine. How do I check/reinstall the boot loader from the Ubuntu installation disc: is there a way to get to a command line for the Ubuntu equivalent of "fixmbr"?

cariboo
February 7th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Yes there is an equivalent to fixmbr. Boot from the LiveCD, once you are at the desktop open a Applications-->Accessories-->Termianl and type

sudo grub

This will open the grub editor. At the prompt type:

find /boot/grub/stage1

This will result in something like this:

(hd0,0)

The first nuber is the disk number, and the second is the partition number. Grubs starts counting from zero, so the above example would be hard drive 1 partition 1. THe next step is to set the root disk:

root (hd0,0)

substitute the result you got from the find command for (hd0,0). THe next step is to write to the mbr:

setup (hd0)

note that only the disk number is used and not the partition number. the final step ist to type:

quit

at the prompt to exit the grub editor. You can now reboot.

Note that grub will create a menu with the other OSs in the menu.

Jim