PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Lost window header bar in Gnome

tx836519
February 7th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I have a machine running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) that has suddenly developed a problem in Gnome. I can open windows and run application OK, but the windows are missing the window header that usually displays the icon for window options on the left end, lists the application / open file in the center and has the Minimize/Window/Close icons on the right end. I tried to fix this by going to System/Preferences/Windows and get the following message box:

- Cannot start the preferences application for your windows manager.
Window manager 'unknown' has not been registered a configuration tool.

Does anyone know what configuration file I have lost, or even better, what I need to do to fix this problem?

JECHO
February 7th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I have a machine running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) that has suddenly developed a problem in Gnome. I can open windows and run application OK, but the windows are missing the window header that usually displays the icon for window options on the left end, lists the application / open file in the center and has the Minimize/Window/Close icons on the right end. I tried to fix this by going to System/Preferences/Windows and get the following message box:

- Cannot start the preferences application for your windows manager.
Window manager 'unknown' has not been registered a configuration tool.

Does anyone know what configuration file I have lost, or even better, what I need to do to fix this problem?

Boot to the desktop and press alt+f2 and type "metacity --replace" without the quotes. :)

tx836519
February 7th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Boot to the desktop and press alt+f2 and type "metacity --replace" without the quotes. :)
At the Gnome desktop, I get no response to Alt-F2, but Cntr-Alt-F2 exits Gnome and prompts me for a text-mode login. Is this what you want me to do?

As I pointed out above, the system is working fine in all other respects and, since it is a server for my network, I don't want to break something by going off half-prepared! -- ken

Yashiro
February 7th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Go into your Appearance panel and set desktop visual effects to none. Or run metacity --replace from a terminal.

If that fails to fix it, go into the theme panel and select the theme called Mist.

tx836519
February 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Go into your Appearance panel and set desktop visual effects to none. Or run metacity --replace from a terminal.

If that fails to fix it, go into the theme panel and select the theme called Mist.
Yashiro,
The appearance is already selected to 'none'. In a text mode terminal, running

sudo metacity -- replace

gets:
'Window manager error: Unable to open X display.'

Selecting theme 'Mist' did not fix the problem either. -- ken

Yashiro
February 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Is this at the box or via VNC?

tx836519
February 7th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Is this at the box or via VNC?
Yashiro,

Yes, I am at the box proper. I do use VNC connections as well, so it is a valid question!

Thank you for your previous suggestions. While I did not make any progress on the first attempt, I again tried switching themes (this time back to Human) and it cleared my problem. I now have the window header and all is working well.

Yashiro
February 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Good-o.

4ebees
March 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks for that Jecho...this was driving me crazy!