PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install Ubuntu!

shut_down
February 7th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Hey everyone... I've got some problems trying to install Ubuntu on my laptop...

I've got the 8.04.1 version of Ubuntu on disk right now, and I'm trying to install it onto my laptop. Right now, my laptop is running Windows XP sp3, so I'd trying to get it so I can dual-boot into either Windows or Ubuntu.

Anyway, I stick the disk into my cd drive, and restart my lappy... After the Dell logo appears, the Ubuntu menu shows up displaying all of my choices for installing Ubuntu or scanning the disk for errors, etc...

Now, I've tried to install it in Windows, and I've tried to go about doing the demo... I have even tried to just scan the disk for errors, and I get the same message every single time:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1, 8 )

The (1, 8 ) may be switched- I can't remember right off-hand.

My Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights continue to flash (the NumLock doesn't even come on, though) and there's nothing else that happens.

I've used this disk to install Ubuntu on my desktop, and it went without any problems... so I don't think the disk is actually defective or anything.

Here are the specs for my laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 1521:

AMD Turion 64 x2
2GB of RAM
120GB Hard drive
ATI Radeon X1270

If you need anything else, let me know.

theozzlives
February 7th, 2009, 01:06 AM
did you try memtest86+???

shut_down
February 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Memtest86 reports no problems...

dburnett77
February 7th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Glitch. Try warranty, the unit seems defective.

This is all too common these days. From what you describe, the data bus for the CPU to the HD is faulty, and is trying to compensate with slower speeds. Which is causing data over-flow.

Possible defective unit peddled by savvy store keeper, or just plain escaped the factory.

shut_down
February 7th, 2009, 02:21 AM
You're saying my laptop may have defective hardware? I've had this laptop for three years and have never run into any sorts of problems at all.

hansdown
February 7th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Hi shut_down.

Try the alternate install cd.

It's the only one that works on my machine.

shut_down
February 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I'm sorry, but alternate installation CD? what's that?

Spherical
February 7th, 2009, 02:47 AM
You're saying my laptop may have defective hardware? I've had this laptop for three years and have never run into any sorts of problems at all.

Yes, it is a big chance there's a hardware error that bothers Ubuntu, but not Windows.

Also, indeed try the alternative installation, or try the 8.10 installation, direct installation, might work as well.

hansdown
February 7th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I'm sorry, but alternate installation CD? what's that?

If you go to the download site, you can find the alternate install download. It is a text install that works better with some computers.

shut_down
February 7th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I guess I don't understand anything about these different installations at all.

I've tried all installations I know of... When I stick the CD in my drive while I'm booted into Windows, the message pops up telling me I can either try the demo, install it clean or "learn more." I've tried both of those with the same result.

Booting from the CD (without first booting into Windows) give the same result as well.

I'm not sure what this "direct" or "alternative" install is.

shut_down
February 7th, 2009, 03:00 AM
If you go to the download site, you can find the alternate install download. It is a text install that works better with some computers.

Oh okay... found it. Thanks!