PDA

View Full Version : What's your race/ethnicity?

Grant A.
February 7th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Just curious to see how diverse the Ubuntu community is. :)

Please choose one or two by degree of which makes up the most percent of you. If one is 66.6% and another is 33.3%, pick the larger instead of the smaller. If one makes up 50% and another makes up 50%, pick both. As if everyone chooses more than one, it will distort the poll.

EDIT- Amerindian includes all native americans and american hispanics.

EDIT2 by bapoumba : be aware this is a public poll

dannytatom
February 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
White man

edit oh snap UF fixes all caps. :o

damis648
February 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Get that poll up!:popcorn:

EDIT: And I second that, Caucasian.

Kingsley
February 7th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Nigerian-American

Grant A.
February 7th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Poll is up now. :)

Due to poll choice limitations, I couldn't have made it as specific as I wanted. So I had to settle for some pretty generic groups.

I'm Anglo-Saxon/Caucasian, btw.

OutOfReach
February 7th, 2009, 12:23 AM
100% Mexican/Latino

Though, I was born in the USA. So does that make me Mexican-American? I don't know. But yeah, family roots: pure mexican

Vadi
February 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM
You mean english ubuntu community.

-grubby
February 7th, 2009, 12:28 AM
My ancestors immigrated from Germany in the early 20th century. Logically, I am of a great portion, German.

earthpigg
February 7th, 2009, 01:04 AM
in before the "human race!" hippyness starts.

im WASP.

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2009, 01:13 AM
in before the "human race!" hippyness starts.

Damn you! :-x :cry:

earthpigg
February 7th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Damn you! :-x :cry:

im suprised the thread made it as far as it did ;)

hayden92
February 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Thought I'd post before this thread gets locked... ;)

I'm Caucasian and quite a bit Maltese as well.

gn2
February 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM
None of the above.

SuperSonic4
February 7th, 2009, 01:50 AM
As white as snow

RiceMonster
February 7th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Humanoid; migrated from a parallel universe.

dburnett77
February 7th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Actually, I lied. I'm not really even an alien-hybrid. Interdimensional.

My appearance is one of those who currently claim to dominate my region I have chosen.

You may not see my natural form, as it influences you to much disassociative disorders, and all the aluminum foil in the world won't save you...

imlinux
February 7th, 2009, 02:30 AM
i object to this thread.

Sealbhach
February 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Thought I'd post before this thread gets locked... ;)

I don't see any reason for it to be locked.

Racial groupings are always arbitrary, I'm Irish so I hesitated a little before filing myself under European/Caucasian. The Celts would consider themselves a little apart from the main European genetic heritage i.e. Germanic, Mediterranean peoples.

I'm thinking the results of the poll will change greatly as the Earth revolves in the next 20 hours or so.

perlluver
February 7th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I am as White as white can be, I am 50% Irish, and 50% Slovak. I am as pale as a ghost.

Grant A.
February 7th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I'm Irish so I hesitated a little before filing myself under European/Caucasian. The Celts would consider themselves a little apart from the main European genetic heritage i.e. Germanic, Mediterranean peoples.

How are Germanic and Mediterranean peoples not white? Btw, is Anglo-Saxon/Anglic considered Germanic?

As I said before, I wanted a much more specific poll, but the poll options restricted me from doing so. :(

kostkon
February 7th, 2009, 02:44 AM
How are Germanic and Mediterranean peoples not white? Btw, is Anglo-Saxon/Anglic considered Germanic?

As I said before, I wanted a much more specific poll, but the poll options restricted me from doing so. :(
That what he/she's saying, that they are white. And yes, the anglo-saxons were germanic tribes...

hanzomon4
February 7th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Good lord I wish I could be as specific as everyone else.... I'm Black, I'm sure that will change... it always does: Black, African-American, person of color, Afro-American... other names I would be banned for posting... you get the idea :p

plb
February 7th, 2009, 02:52 AM
French, German, Italian aka White

kostkon
February 7th, 2009, 03:05 AM
BTW, I'm white of Med extraction.

kk0sse54
February 7th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I'm white and I'm swedish, what more is there to know?

spcwingo
February 7th, 2009, 03:50 AM
<----Jusy look here. I'm from Eastern-band Cherokee, Irish, Dutch,and English blood.

Mohamedzv2
February 7th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I'm an Arab.

100% pure Egyptian

hoopz23
February 7th, 2009, 04:58 AM
100% Chinese!

Although I was born and raised in the Philippines. And I'm in America now for college. And I "live" in Toronto.

But yeah, if it's race/ethnicity, I'm Chinese.

MarblePanther
February 7th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I'm white and I'm swedish, what more is there to know?

I wasn't aware swedish was its own race :p

*geek alert*

I am 1/2 Vulcan, 1/2 Human

omg, i've been watching too much trek lately :D

*end geek alert*

vikramaditya
February 7th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I'm an Arab.

100% pure Egyptian
I've long wondered if there are any direct descendants of ancient pharaohs among the modern population of Egypt.

I'm Swiss on my Dad's side and Corsican Basque on my Mom's. Her genes definitely conquered my Dad's, cuz I'm olive complected, hairy all over, and can grow a beard while u watch, lol.

keynell
February 7th, 2009, 05:15 AM
My ancestry is like soft-serve ice cream, when you get the chocolate/vanilla swirl, making me extraordinarily tasty. Both sets of ancestors arrived to the New World on boats hunreds of years ago.

malspa
February 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Jovian.

MarblePanther
February 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Jovian.

You must be a very gaseous person ;)

N4zgu1
February 7th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Im a Nazgul

"Those who used the Nine Rings became mighty in their day, kings, sorcerers, and warriors of old. They obtained glory and great wealth, yet it turned to their undoing. They had, as it seemed, unending life, yet life became unendurable to them. They could walk, if they would, unseen by all eyes in this world beneath the sun, and they could see things in worlds invisible to mortal men; but too often they beheld only the phantoms and delusions of Sauron. And one by one, sooner or later, according to their native strength and to the good or evil of their wills in the beginning, they fell under the thraldom of the ring that they bore and of the domination of the One which was Sauron's. And they became forever invisible save to him that wore the Ruling Ring, and they entered into the realm of shadows. The Nazgűl were they, the Ringwraiths,the Ulairi, the Enemy's most terrible servants; darkness went with them, and they cried with the voices of death" (The Silmarillion: "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age", 346).

Mohamedzv2
February 7th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I've long wondered if there are any direct descendants of ancient pharaohs among the modern population of Egypt.

I'm Swiss on my Dad's side and Corsican Basque on my Mom's. Her genes definitely conquered my Dad's, cuz I'm olive complected, hairy all over, and can grow a beard while u watch, lol.

I doubt that there are any direct descendants from pharoahs. Most were killed from the invasion of various empires and people.

100% pure Egyptian for me means that I haven't heard of anyone in my family that came from another country.

My last name sounds spanish though lol. El are the first two letters

malspa
February 7th, 2009, 05:29 AM
you must be a very gaseous person ;)

8-)

bigbrovar
February 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Am a Yoruba/Nigerian Native and a Citizen of Planet Earth

darrenn
February 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Métis

boltz
February 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Caucasian, Anglo-Celt = English and Welsh ancestry

spacegypsy
February 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Just HUMAN

mdsmedia
February 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Australian, as far as I can tell 14/16ths English and 1 Scots and 1 Irish ancestor.

Proud of my Celtic part ;).

hyperdude111
February 7th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Mixed.
Mum = Black African
Dad = White English

BuffaloX
February 7th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Until recently I didn't even know what Caucasian means.
But that's what I am... Typical Scandinavian blonde.
Btw gene research seems to indicate that we are probably a sub race to the Persians.

Chame_Wizard
February 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Pure African

dr.silly
February 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Just HUMAN

This is sorta a racist thread.

BuffaloX
February 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Good lord I wish I could be as specific as everyone else.... I'm Black, I'm sure that will change... it always does: Black, African-American, person of color, Afro-American... other names I would be banned for posting... you get the idea :p

Person of color sounds a bit silly, Like a panic attempt to be as politically correct as possible.

Nothing wrong with any color.
Saying white or black "should" be no different than saying tall or wearing glasses.
It's all about intent and perception.
Unfortunately some times intend is bad, and sometimes perception is wrong.

BTW I am also a citizen of earth. :p

BuffaloX
February 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM

Why?
I think it's an interesting demographic poll,
Actually I had hoped there would be far more non Caucasian,
Showing much wider use of Ubuntu outside America/Europe.

billgoldberg
February 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM
White.

100 percent Flemish ancestry.

:)

billgoldberg
February 8th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Why?
I think it's an interesting demographic poll,
Actually I had hoped there would be far more non Caucasian,
Showing much wider use of Ubuntu outside America/Europe.

Linux is most popular in Europe and the US, so that was to be expected.

cmay
February 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM
i am from Denmark. i was Born and raised in Denmark by my Danish family that has been carrying Danish bloodline ever as long as we can trace back. but for some reason i do not look Danish apperently .for some reason i sometimes and in fact pretty often get people coming up to me on the street talking English to me becouse they think i am not Danish or mostly i meet a lot of people from greenland that thinks i am from greenland too.

chucky chuckaluck
February 8th, 2009, 01:15 AM
three quarters irish, one quarter french-canadian (whatever tf that is). no, wait! i'm the cute, little tibetan girl in my av!

BuffaloX
February 8th, 2009, 01:24 AM
i am from Denmark. i was Born and raised in Denmark by my Danish family that has been carrying Danish bloodline ever as long as we can trace back. but for some reason i do not look Danish apperently .for some reason i sometimes and in fact pretty often get people coming up to me on the street talking English to me becouse they think i am not Danish or mostly i meet a lot of people from greenland that thinks i am from greenland too.

Cool picture, with the feather and the head band you look to be in contact with nature. ;)

HammerOfDoubt
February 8th, 2009, 01:54 AM

How is this racist?
Recognizing that Race exists doesn't automatically mean we are going to start discriminating with it as a basis.

I'm 75% Peruvian, with some English and French back there in the family tree. Born in Peru but raised in America since I was 1. I don't know how to answer this poll.

Grant A.
February 8th, 2009, 01:58 AM
How is this racist?
Recognizing that Race exists doesn't automatically mean we are going to start discriminating with it as a basis.

I'm 75% Peruvian, with some English and French back there in the family tree. Born in Peru but raised in America since I was 1. I don't know how to answer this poll.

If you're Peruvian you are most likely Hispanic, meaning you would choose Amerindian. :)

Amerindian is an umbrella term that applies to all Native Americans, Inuits, and American Hispanics.

HammerOfDoubt
February 8th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Done!

cmay
February 8th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Cool picture, with the feather and the head band you look to be in contact with nature. ;)
thanks. its an real eagle feather. i have one i found just outside. i am lucky enough to live next to a forrest where 2 eagles nest. i can see them sometimes when they fly around looking for food. i am pretty fond of nature and have always been working with farm animals before i got sick. it kinda sticks having the need to be outside as much as possible.

rweaver4
February 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM
How on earth can you lump Pacific Islanders, Aboriginals and Kiwis together? Luckily there are none of these totally disparate
peoples on the forum to be offended!

konqueror7
February 8th, 2009, 07:18 AM
what about if my father is german, and my mother is a filipino? i'm eurasian right?

Kleist
February 8th, 2009, 07:26 AM
white, latino, american and some mexican-indian. My ancestors were very promiscuous. :D

bapoumba
February 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM
The American Indian group was changed as requested.

After discussion with other mods:
- A note stating the poll is public was added in first post.
- Indian group should probably be changed to "South Asian or Indian"
- I see two more option possible in the poll, fell free to suggest other entries.