PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installaton freezes at "preparing linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic"

frangagn
February 6th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Can't believe how hard one has to try to install Ubunto!!!

I'm finally installing from the DVD, in text mode. Everything works very well until I get to the

"Installing the base system" screen where it freezes every time at

preparing linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic

Before anybody ask, yes I did check the integrity of the DVD, and prepared it at 1X speed...

Please help!

mjheagle8
February 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
did you let it sit there for a little bit? because sometimes complex functions such as that would take some time. does the live cd boot ok?

frangagn
February 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Yup, several hours! Tried it several times, it always freeze at the same spot!

mjheagle8
February 6th, 2009, 11:51 PM
does the live disc work fine? and may i ask why you're installing off of dvd instead of cd? trying a cd instead may help.

frangagn
February 7th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Aside from getting an "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Deamond, which I sometimes get, yup everything runs ok with the Live CD

I'm using the DVD because I tried several versions of the CD and, out of despair, tried the DVD release. Same result....

frangagn
February 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Bump! Anybody knows what this package is for? That would help me finding out what's causing the freeze.....

avtolle
February 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
The package contains modules needed by the kernel and contains, IIRC, restricted drivers, etc., which are likely needed for your hardware. It appears to me that the package itself might have been bad when downloaded from the mirror. I note you checked the integrity of the DVD, etc.; did that include running a md5sum check on the iso before burning?

frangagn
February 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks avtolle!

I didn't run md5sum on the iso. However, I've downloaded several version of the CD (Text based, graphic, etc), and they all behave the same. I suspect there might be a setting in my BIOS that makes it behave like this, but which one!!!

THis computer used to run Windows XP without a flaw.

frangagn
February 9th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Bump! Please help!!!