PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install apps on Ubuntu Server from cdrom

lamarty
February 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
hi,
i have installed Ubuntu server 8.04 as VMware machine, i'd like to install many apps (graphical interface for expl) and i see that i need to download ~300Mb for this, and as my internet connection would take time to do this, how can i install the packages from ubuntu cd mounted on the virtual machine, how to make the CD availale t the machine, how to install, what to install.... ?
thanks a lot

lemming465
February 10th, 2009, 01:49 AM
To make a CD available to a Vmware guest, use the VM menu to edit the hardware. You may have a CD connect/disconnect/edit submenu you can use. The CD dialog pane lets you either tie the guest CD drive to a host's physical CD drive, or to point the guest CD drive at an ISO image file.

To include CD's as a package source in the guest, scan them with sudo apt-cdrom add. They should get listed in /etc/apt.sources.list.

Install stuff with sudo apt-get install ....

As to what, it depends on what you want. For a minimal X environment start with something like sudo apt-get install xorg gdm. For a minimal suite of gnome applications maybe add gnome-core.

For a full ubuntu desktop try the metapackage ubuntu-desktop, though that will download a fair amount unless you have run apt-cdrom add against the ubuntu alternate install CD.

lamarty
February 10th, 2009, 09:30 AM
thanks lemming465 for your answer.
i had installed ubuntu-desktop, gnome-core, gdm, executed sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start, but till now i can't have the GUI interface, is there something else to do ?

lemming465
February 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Hmmm. I took a virtualbox ubuntu server 8.10 vm, installed ubuntu-desktop, and ran sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start. I got an X/Gnome desktop, and reboots became graphical rather than text.

Are there any error messages in /var/log/messages or /var/log/Xorg.0.log? Does sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg help any? Have you installed the vmware tools?

lamarty
February 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
thanks for your answer,
i downloaded Ubuntu Server 8.10 and it worked like a charme, i don't know it didn't on 8.04 version.
again, thanks for your help.