PDA

View Full Version : Its Windows 7!...or is it?

Jackelope
February 6th, 2009, 10:18 PM
A short video in the style of the Win Vista ads:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Is_it_Windows_7_or_KDE_4_

They concluded that, basically, people have no idea what Win 7 and KDE 4 actually look like :p

phrostbyte
February 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Kind of a Mojave Experiment for Linux? :)

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I like the whole "we learned nothing" conclusion.

It's not a pro-Windows answer, and it's not a pro-Linux answer. Nice and neutral. :D

mihai.ile
February 7th, 2009, 12:48 AM
great video. Just came here to post a thread about it and you beat me by 2h

damis648
February 7th, 2009, 12:50 AM

It's not a pro-Windows answer, and it's not a pro-Linux answer. Nice and neutral. :D

+1. I hope they told them it was KDE though. ;) I would have loved to see their reactions.

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2009, 12:53 AM
+1. I hope they told them it was KDE though. ;) I would have loved to see their reactions.

Yes, and in a way so that they leave educated. If you are going to show someone KDE by claiming it is Windows 7, at least explain afterword that what KDE is and how different the user experience is. That way you don't have a bunch of people trying KDE without knowing it is actually very different from what they are currently using.

RichardLinx
February 7th, 2009, 01:15 AM
That was awesome. "I couldn't get user friendly with Vista" And people were asking if "that all comes built in". Linux is very likely to comply with a large majority of users needs and they don't even know it exists. That's unfortunate.

Frak
February 7th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Yes, and in a way so that they leave educated. If you are going to show someone KDE by claiming it is Windows 7, at least explain afterword that what KDE is and how different the user experience is. That way you don't have a bunch of people trying KDE without knowing it is actually very different from what they are currently using.
The question from them would have been, "but can it run X and Y?"

That usually ends the enlightenment.

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2009, 01:24 AM
The question from them would have been, "but can it run X and Y?"

That usually ends the enlightenment.

To be honest, the idea of a different operating system may be daunting in itself to some users.

speedwell68
February 7th, 2009, 01:30 AM

I thought it was quite ironic.

earthpigg
February 7th, 2009, 01:33 AM
To be honest, the idea of a different operating system may be daunting in itself to some users.

'those users' probably dont use operating systems, they probably use computers ;)

dburnett77
February 7th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Most of the elements I see "ripped-off", cursory actions, are:

Window Effects and sizing. Also, the compiz engine is drastically 'optimized, shall we say with most likely Linux tools.

There choice of color scheme seems to mimick old Mandrake styling. Namely ver. 9.x

It's sad, but they'll pay someone to develop these tools as a side project, and free-based collaboraters just stick money in their pockets.

"Free-Loaders".

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2009, 02:01 AM
'those users' probably dont use operating systems, they probably use computers ;)

That was my point.

zmjjmz
February 7th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I love how awkward people are around computers.

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I love how awkward people are around computers.

Or video cameras.

Frak
February 7th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Or video cameras.
:lolflag: