PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network-manager nightmare - revert back to default?

WindowsSurvivor
February 6th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Greetings all! Ubuntu noob here.. Running Intrepd right now.

Well I have an HP DV9000 laptop with ubuntu. Everything worked well, but I had a lot of wireless issues. It comes with the Intel PRO/Wireless and I also have a linksys Wireless N USB adapter (WUSB600N).

My wireless network connections were shaky at best. Even while running both adapters, I'd forever lose network connections, and even while connected, I'd be asked for my WPA key about 20 times. after fighting with it for about 15 minutes, I'd manage to get a somewhat reliable connection and things would be fine, until the connection was lost.

Frustrated, I searched these very forums for help, and one of the options I read was to install network-manager and network-manager-gnome, which made things a LOT worse. I managed somehow to get myself connected right now, and I completely removed network-manager, but now my status icon doesn't look right. If I click it, I don't see a list of available networks, now it opens a "Connection Properties" box with wlan0 in the box. If I click "Configure" I get a nasty error message:

The interface does not exist.

Check that it is correctly typed and that it is correctly supported by your system.

:( I just want to go back to original network default settings that came with Ubuntu.

How do I do this???

Thanks in advance for the help.

WindowsSurvivor
February 6th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Anyone?

WindowsSurvivor
February 11th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Well, I couldn't wait, so I just made a new user and it seemed to clear up the problem for some reason. If anyone else has this problem, save yourself the time and trouble and just make a new user account, because you'll die of starvation waiting for help around here.