PDA

View Full Version : Creative Writer Distribution?

Warpnow
February 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I'm considering remastersysing a modified ubuntu for creative writers.

Applications I'm considering:

Zim
Abiword
Scribus
Celtx
OpenOffice with Writer Tools
yWriter (under wine)
Sonar (under wine)
Textroom (or jdarkroom, not sure yet)

I'm planning on using a minimal install of ubuntu with XFCE + Wbar (no compisiting needed is best for a Live CD/USB environement).

Any suggestions?

Wv0wvw88wvw0vW
February 6th, 2009, 08:34 PM
With all due respect, and whilst I only know a few of the programs listed, why would you have more than one program that can deliver the same functionelle? I'm referring specifically to Abiword and OpenOffice.
I like the idea, but I think it should contain more than some program we can install ourselves, and a desktop enviroment which falls in the same category.
I think you'd have better luck creating a remix targetted at writers in general, for example, Ubuntu Studio caters to visual expression, your distribution could cater to textual.
Good luck.

OZFive
February 6th, 2009, 08:35 PM
While I am not a writer, I have read a lot! I am not aware of the needs of writers and the programs they might need for it. But I am curious as to if they actually use more than one or two programs. Would they not have a preferred program to use such as AbiWord and pretty much just use it and exclude the ones they do not use? Kind of like a writer and his fav pen, or typewriter, word processor, or program.

Would not a better idea be setting up a website with the links, descriptions, ideas, and all the tools available for the writer that wants to use Ubuntu?

btw.... Dallas here too.

Warpnow
February 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
While I am not a writer, I have read a lot! I am not aware of the needs of writers and the programs they might need for it. But I am curious as to if they actually use more than one or two programs. Would they not have a preferred program to use such as AbiWord and pretty much just use it and exclude the ones they do not use? Kind of like a writer and his fav pen, or typewriter, word processor, or program.

Would not a better idea be setting up a website with the links, descriptions, ideas, and all the tools available for the writer that wants to use Ubuntu?

btw.... Dallas here too.

I think most writers use applications they dislike, especially those using windows. They use MS word, Wordperfect, ect, simply because that's what they know. A better environment, and better applications do exist, but are not accessible to them due to reduced technical knowledge.

The OS would be less focused on which applications they use, however, so much as the isolation of the applications, stability of the system, and ease with which it starts.

snowpine
February 6th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Great idea... I'm subscribed!

My only suggestion would be some really good viewers for pdfs, e-books, etc. because writers do a lot of reading, too. :)

jenkinbr
February 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM
May I suggest TeX/LaTeX? I don't think it is as popular today, but there are still some out there who do use them.

Warpnow
February 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM
May I suggest TeX/LaTeX? I don't think it is as popular today, but there are still some out there who do use them.

I was thinking about this. I want to include one for sure, but I don't use it so am not sure which gui is most newbie friendly or powerful. Any reccomendations?

tadcan
February 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Storybook is better then ywriter IMO http://storybook.intertec.ch/joomla/

It also runs natively in linux.

I write as a hobby but wouldn't install a 'writer distro', it seems overkill. People install the software they use, for writing, programing, art, without needing a distro 'just for them'.

Ntacman
February 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
What about some sort of graphics program for making illustrations for writings?There used to be a distro called ghostwriters, but the site is dead, so you can't get the iso anymore. It included Gimp for illustrations, and I think inkscape too.

jken146
February 7th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I was thinking about this. I want to include one for sure, but I don't use it so am not sure which gui is most newbie friendly or powerful. Any reccomendations?

lyx is not bad at all. +1 for tex.

Warpnow
February 7th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Storybook is better then ywriter IMO http://storybook.intertec.ch/joomla/

It also runs natively in linux.

I write as a hobby but wouldn't install a 'writer distro', it seems overkill. People install the software they use, for writing, programing, art, without needing a distro 'just for them'.

I do not intend for people to install the distribution.

I expect mostly people to run it off of the CD (with a backup solution, still working on that), or off a USB flash drive.

tadcan
February 7th, 2009, 12:51 AM
You want to put writer solutions in one place and ship it as a cd?

Why not have a website with like to writer resources and the links?

Ntacman
February 7th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Heh, Im not sure if this is...entirely off topic, but I wouldn't mind testing for you. Just give me a PM, or email.

jimi_hendrix
February 7th, 2009, 03:37 AM
make it look fancy and like a mac...all creative writers have a mac

</stereotype>

jimi_hendrix
February 7th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I do not intend for people to install the distribution.

I expect mostly people to run it off of the CD (with a backup solution, still working on that), or off a USB flash drive.

sorry for the double post

but why would they want to write their book off of a live cd?