PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz does not start automatically

pvravi
February 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hi

I have Compiz in my startup programs in System-Preferences-sessions, and I have run compiz --replace many times over. Compiz does not start automatically.

What's more, running compiz --replace once does not enable all features of compiz. For example, to be able to rotate cube by rolling the mouse - a feature that I use often - I have to run compiz --replace twice after startup. Moreover, any Compiz related programs AWN, Cairo-dock,etc will not start because Compiz does not start.

So every time I restart I have taken up running compiz --replace twice followed by cairo-dock, and I am getting tired of this. This has been going on for a while now since the Hardy update and through the Intrepid update.

What's wrong? How do I make this automatic?

TIA
pvravi

gettinoriginal
February 6th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Check your session startup command for compiz and make sure that it is compiz --replace. Then the next time you boot up, (if it doesn't start) before typing compiz --replace, go to System, Preferences, Appearance, Visual Effects and make sure it says Extra or Custom.

pvravi
February 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Check your session startup command for compiz and make sure that it is compiz --replace. Then the next time you boot up, (if it doesn't start) before typing compiz --replace, go to System, Preferences, Appearance, Visual Effects and make sure it says Extra or Custom.

Thanks, this Works somewhat. However, not everything in Compiz is up by itself. To be able to roll mouse-wheel to flip cube, I need to run Compiz again.

I checked CCSM, there's no real diff before running compiz --replace the second time and after.

still better than before. At least cairo-dock starts automatically.

gettinoriginal
February 13th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I don't know if you have any special configurations to CCSM, but this will set it all back to default which should let you rotate on scroll:
Compiz Reset to Default

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset -a /apps/compiz

dmstudios
October 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM

This is the INCORRECT way of doing this, and is more of a hack. The proper way to do this is to tell Gnome to use compiz as your default window manager and not use metacity at all.

Simply put this in your ~/.gnomerc (create it if it does not exist yet):

export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/compiz