PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! Partition Disaster

jessedufour
February 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hey There, So im a noob at Ubuntu i just got my CD in the mail and tried to install it on my ACER XP machine, esentially i wanted to format my HD to get rid of windows and use Linuz as my OS. From the reading i did i gathered i could use the partition asistant in Ubuntu to get rid of the 3 partitions i had. 1 with windows, the other was a FAT32 3G part and the other was a 17Gb section i used for media. Upon doing the installtion i used the partition manager to do :Guided - full drive. It came back with an ext3 file system creatin error on one fo my partitions. I also got a message saying :error communication with kernel system, this means the drive didnt know what youve done until reboot..etc So i got tired and figured i would start fresh in the morning. Next thing i know i turn on my computer with the cd in the drive and all i get is a flashing cursor and nothing boots, no menus nothing, just the cursor. Im wondering if ive completely cooked my computer or if i can burn something to a cd to at least get it to respond, i just dont know what to do, please help!

taurus
February 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Go into the BIOS and make sure your HD is still detected by the BIOS. Also, double check to make sure that CD-ROM is still the first bootable device.