PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partioning question (spread installation on 2 disks)

Niniel
February 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hello,

I'm/was using Ubuntu on a laptop as a second OS. So when I put 7.10 ion it a while back, I had only 4.5 GB of space available, and after installing a few things I ended up with about 330 MB of free space.
Not enough to do an upgrade to a newer version.
So I decided to start from scratch with 8.10. I can't free up any more room on the hd, but I did get myself an 8 GB flash card that I want to use as a second hd.
The question now is how to set this up.
I tried putting everything on the hd except for /home (during installation I picked / for sda2 and /home for sdb1), but the installation failed (curiously, prior to starting the installation, setup complained that there wasn't enough space on sdb1 even though it has more than 7 GB free). Then I tried putting /usr on the flash card. Failed again with a similar error about the lack of space on /usr.
I guess I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know what.
Any suggestions?

Thank you.

taurus
February 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Is there anything on that flash drive? How many partitions there are on it? Why not format it to clear out all the old stuff on it first?

Niniel
February 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM
The partition on the flash drive should be empty, I set sdb1 to be formatted during installation.
There is an sdb2 on the drive (500 MB) that has some stuff on in that I want to keep (a copy of my old /boot folder [for the grub boot screens])
But at this point I'm more interested in coming up with a good partitioning scheme. i.e. *should* it work when I set sda2 to / during installation and sdb1 to /usr or /home?

Update: I followed your advice and deleted all my Linux partitions, and then set them up anew, but I'm still getting an error claiming that the /usr partition on sdb1 is too small. I'm not getting a recommended size though.
Update: Hm, according to this guide (http://beginlinux.com/desktop_training/ubuntu/1073-ubuntu-intrepid-ibex-install) my setup was correct, except that I didn't create a separate /boot partition.

Update: Maybe the CD had errors (even though the error checker didn't find any). Anyway, I used an alternate installation CD to get a base system - since that disk was also not error free (3rd broken disk) I have to pull applications down from the internets.
Oh well, at least it's working now. Still have to do the wireless setup but that shouldn't be too bad.