PDA

View Full Version : Let's see how this floats...

Jormundgand
December 20th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I know some people here prefer a constant-update distro and do not particularly enjoy the six-month cutoffs of Ubuntu, even when using the development version.

It occurred to me that Grumpy Groundhog has the drawbacks that it is never in a state anyone could call "stable" - the Wiki entry emphasises how care must be taken not to destroy things through faulty compiles or other hazards.

I figured - what's wrong with a team which vets the Grumpy packages and decides if they're suitable to be introduced into a stabler-if-still-unstable pseudorelease of Ubuntu? Hence was born my idea which I will give a name as soon as I come up with a suitable adjective to go before Dragon. (The adjective needs to mean "unstable" or "temperamental"...any offers?)

This release would not be emphasised as being for the regular users - I see it more as being for those people who are used to Linux distros where updates don't come in any sort of regular cycle, and those who prefer that style of updating over a regular release-based schedule.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

poofyhairguy
December 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=105983

Jormundgand
December 20th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Yeah, my idea is basically making Grumpy a little more coherent, with a view to being able to put out little snapshot CDs for people to jump ship with so they can start surfing the update wave.