PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with Asus/Intel Centrino notebooks?

TheOrangePeanut
February 6th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I'm looking at here (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9172851&type=product&id=1218044029604) and I'm wondering how its compatibility with Linux is. I've read reviews on BestBuy's website, but it appears it might be a BestBuy exclusive because I can't find it anywhere else for sale... I also read a review of it on Cnet, and they rated it good except they said it had stiff mouse buttons, which I could probably live with if it wasn't TOO bad.

Anyone have any experience they could share?

Miguel
February 6th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Hello!

First, your link isn't working for me, as the forum software doesn't want to read your HTML code. Second, I've tried copy-pasting the address, but I get an error. So what is the ASUS model you are considering? I'd say that notebookreview is a pretty good site for getting laptop reviews, and in their laptop database you can find review links from other sites.

Regarding linux compatibility, Intel stuff is usually pretty good. Also, beware of getting a broadcom Wireless card. The intel ones may have worse performance in Windows, but they are trouble-free out-of-the-box in 99% of the distros. Have a look at linux-laptop.net for the model you may buy. It's not guaranteed that your model will be there, but you can get an idea on how linux friendly that particular brand is.

As a final note and from what I've seen in the shops, Asus seems to do a good job regarding to build quality. They seem stronger than Dell Inspirons and Acers, although maybe not as robust as business HPs or Thinkpads.

sports fan Matt
February 6th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I confirm the link not working and the page error as well.

TheOrangePeanut
February 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Sorry, I fixed my link so you guys can take a look. I've seen the laptop and can confirm it doesn't have a Broadcom card, it has an Intel card (I knew to avoid Broadcoms at all possible.) It seems like to me the important things should be compatible. What I'm mostly worried about is the video card since Nvidia doesn't really have any free counterparts to their blob drivers, so if they decide to stop supporting the card (or don't currently support it) then I am in trouble. I don't know if the webcam or "facial recognition" software work in Linux either, but I wouldn't really have a use for either of those anyway.

cprofitt
February 6th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I had issues with the DVD drive and other components of the ASUS I purchased. I ended up returning it. The one I got was the -- X83Vm-X1

Miguel
February 6th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Hello again,

I wouldn't really worry much about the nVidia drivers. While you won't get the "fire-and-forget" capability of intel, you won't also "get" their current awful performance[1], and nVidia's blob doesn't seem half as bad as fglrx (and I have quite an experience with ATi's driver). Also, as a positive, if you install nVidia's blib, you get access to VDAPU.

But back to serious stuff. I've seen a couple of pics in a notebookreview thread (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=309113) and it has an awkward gold palmrest. The pics in your link are much more decent, though. So you may be interested in going personally to Best Buy to check whether you like the laptop live or not.

[1] Current intel performance in linux (w/ the G45 in my Thinkpad) just sucks. I mean, the difference with windows is incredible. This card can run Half Life 2 in windows, but can't run Torcs in linux at a decent resolution. On the bright side, desktop effects work smoothly and suspend/resume has a 95%+ reliability.

TheOrangePeanut
February 6th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I have looked at the model in person and I was pretty pleased with it, but I have read reviews that the mouse buttons are stiff and hard to press... I'll be sure to check those out when I go back. I wonder if they'd let me boot the machine with an Ubuntu live cd...

joshmuffin
February 6th, 2009, 06:36 AM
My only advice is:
Do not under ANY circumstances get a Celeron processor.