PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] X is occasionally broken since 8.10 install

xxxxme
February 6th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 (gnome desktop). This is a clean install, and the packages on the CD checked out before I started, as did the image's MD5sum before I burned it.
Last time the problem computer was started, and someone logged in, it was found that maximized windows didn't use the bottom couple inches of the screen, though unmaximized things could be moved there. This had happened before, and the remedy was to change the screen's resolution, then change it back. This problem only happened on one desktop.
I changed the screen's resolution. The resolution changed, but the display immediately began to horizontally scroll fairly quickly. There was no longer a mouse cursor on the screen, but moving the mouse changed the scrolling speed (when moved horizontally) and the amount of the screen that was used to display the desktop (when moved vertically). I managed to change the screen's resolution and refresh rate, separately, several times (including to 640x480 @ 60Hz) using the keyboard, but while this did what was expected, it didn't remedy the horizontal scrolling.
Killing X (after which it automatically restarted) did not help.
This is the third time I've installed 8.10 with the gnome desktop on this computer, including one upgrade from 8.04, and the fourth time I've installed 8.10 in all. EVERY time I tried installing, the installation had a different problem. There were no problems when I had 8.04.
What can I do to remedy Xorg's current death in the usefulness department? What is the problem, anyhow?