PDA

View Full Version : What is the 3rd best browser?

Pogeymanz
February 6th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I assume that everyone's favorite browser is either Opera or Firefox (or a spin-off). So, what is the best browser that isn't one of the big two?

If other, please list.

Grant A.
February 6th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Lynx, you never know when your X server may die and you absolutely need a text-based browser.

cardinals_fan
February 6th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Midori will be great someday, but I prefer to avoid a browser that crashes on 20% of the sites I visit. Links is very nice, but I just can't go text-based for browsing. Kazehakase is nice. Epiphany isn't too bad.

jrusso2
February 6th, 2009, 04:26 AM
IMO the browsers are ranked
1. Firefox
2. Opera
3. Google Chrome.

Skripka
February 6th, 2009, 04:28 AM
1. Konqueror-Native 64bit Qt4-shared, YAY!!

2. Opera-no native 64bit Qt4 support, now or anywhere in the declared future, or it would be #1

3. Firefox-it can have features like Opera but it gets slow...and more slow...

Rokurosv
February 6th, 2009, 04:34 AM
My favorite browser is FF, but if Chrome came out for Linux I would totally ditch FF for it. Opera is the third browser on my list.

benny bronx
February 6th, 2009, 04:36 AM
What. no Galeon? It's a gnome browser and in the repos. Another favorite that is windows only at the moment is k-meleon.

cardinals_fan
February 6th, 2009, 04:39 AM
What. no Galeon? It's a gnome browser and in the repos.
It also happens to be dead ;)

michelletan546
February 6th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Google Chrome :popcorn:

-------------------
Search for Philippine jobs (http://www.gopinoy.com) and jobs all over the world. Jobs in the Philippines, United States, Europe, and Asia can be found here.

benny bronx
February 6th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Dead is such a strong word. I realize it is not "being actively developed". Unfortunately, Opera looks like crap on my 8.04, and Epiphany's fonts are either too large or small, so Galeon is my backup to FF.

crimesaucer
February 6th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I voted Epiphany for Linux.

I would say Chrome on Vista.

And I would say Links is more important to me than either of those browsers. Occasionally I break something and end up with only a working tty virtual console..... Links works great to ask a question on a forum, read a wiki page, or search the internet to download something from the console screen.

I have also been using the Midori browser with webkit and it's pretty fast. It might be pretty nice in a year from now..... hopefully by then Epiphany will have a stable webkit version.

rzrgenesys187
February 6th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Going with what I've used most in Linux that isn't Opera and/or Firefox I have to go with links. Had to use it for my whole gentoo install until I got gnome up and running

igknighted
February 6th, 2009, 06:13 AM
3rd best = firefox.

I'll take opera and konqueror over it most days.

doorknob60
February 6th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Konqueror. Why assume that everyone's favorite is Firefox or Opera? I like Konqueror a lot, and in my set up it's better than Firefox or Opera, so I guess that makes it my favorite, at least when running KDE :)

adamlau
February 6th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Gotta be Safari until WebKit is stabilized. Midori would be my choice then.

mohitchawla
February 6th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Kazehakase ! I haven't even used the gestures yet, but its still really nice and lightweight. Nothing much to miss from Firefox/Opera except probably the polished looks/interface.

Wv0wvw88wvw0vW
February 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Why is Chrome listed? We can't use it, with any native hope to realize the much-acclaimed speed of Google.

If I were to grade my top browsers, they would be:
1. Firefox (Stable, bulletproof)
2. Epiphany (Simple, fast)
3. IceWeasel (Same as Firefox, without the controversy)
4. Konqueror (If I had to...)
5. Dillo (Fast, very simple)

wmcbrine
February 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM
There are some interesting ideas in Chrome, but I think the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. I was sold on it when I read the comic book, but then I actually installed it. First, it draws its own window decorations, using a Vista style even in XP. I hate that. Then I found that it had set up a service to run on startup. I really, really hate that. No extensions... Windows only... just not that useful, in the end.

jespdj
February 6th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Definitely Google Chrome. Too bad that there's still no Linux version for it.

I like it mainly because of the Google V8 JavaScript engine, which makes JavaScript run really fast in the browser.

Both the Firefox and Opera developers are also working on new JavaScript engines - JavaScript will get a significant speed boost also in FF 3.1 and a future version of Opera.

Google V8: http://code.google.com/p/v8/
For Firefox: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/archives/2008/08/tracemonkey_javascript_lightsp.html
For Opera: http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/02/04/carakan

chucky chuckaluck
February 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
i guess i put firefox at number one. were it faster, i'd be perfectly happy with it.

the only other one i have installed is elinks, which is a great text browser and it's sometimes a relief just to get away from all that noise.

i've used opera on many occassions, but were it not for its speed, there would be no reason for me to use it. and lately, i've had a lot of problems when i've used it (toolbars are way too thick, cookies won't delete, etc.).

konqueror is ok.

i don't really like epiphany.

i don't get the fascination with webkit. (maybe if i spent more time at the acid3 site, i would.)

Pogeymanz
February 6th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, how much better can webkit really be than the alternatives? It seems like every Linux browser now has a webkit version.

Dragonbite
February 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Opera.

Because on my Windows machine I use Firefox, then IE (partially have to because of our web application).

In Linux, if I'm using KDE it's Konquerer then Firefox.

If it's Gnome then it's Firefox, then Opera then ... nothing really so Opera gets "default" 3rd because it's out of 2!