PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ABC shows?

dwnii
February 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hello, is it possible to watch abc.com videos on ubuntu?

Thank you

Dav

ajgreeny
February 6th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Some of them only. The full show player, or something titled similarly to that, is only available in USA, not UK where I am, and may also be restricted by DRM, the site does not make it clear. I can, however, watch their news videos without problem, even here in UK.

lgulseth
February 13th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I have tried numerous times to make the HD video from ABC.com work and have not yet succeeded.

My first attempt used WinXP running through VirtualBox. I set the video memory to the highest amount, 128MB and gave it 1GB system memory. When trying to play video, I receive this error message:

Unfortunately, an error has occurred. Please try again later. If you'd like to tell us about the error, please mention error code: player_'Video':'Unable to create adequate video renderer'

The next thing I tried was installing the Windows version of Firefox through Wine. The videos actually appear to play, but I see a black screen and get no audio.

When I attempt to load the player through the Linux Firefox, I see this:

Oops
Our new video player is only available for:
Windows XP/Vista - Internet Explorer, Firefox
Mac - Firefox, Safari.
To watch, please download the appropriate browser.

(gah, stupid ABC.com, why do you require Winderz? UGH!)

The latest attempt used WinXP running through VMWare server 2.0. This gave me the same error as XP in VirtualBox. This leads me to believe the virtual machines are not giving enough of my video resources. I know this computer has plenty of hardware to run the abc.com HD video, it works fine when I boot XP native.

I have upgraded my Nvidia driver to 180.29.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Luther, Alma, Ark

yther
February 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I haven't tried it, but have you tried using a browser ID changer to fool the site?

Here's one: User Agent Switcher (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59)

chikin03
February 14th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Actually, I'm having this problem too. User switcher hasn't worked in native, I guess I haven't tried in virtualbox. I could've sworn I've watched the TV shows before... but maybe it was on my laptop. I've tried IE and firefox, rebooting, zero add-ins, changing the resolution/bitdepth, installing flash10, etc. No dice.

"unable to create adequate video renderer" returns all of 3 hits in google, none of which turn up answers.

timcredible
February 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM
so i tried abc.com episodes in windows, and after it downloaded a very small app named move media, it then required me to download flash 10. so, basically, it's just flash, but they put some other app in front of flash to purposely disable their site for non-windows users. pretty crappy....

kshane
February 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I gave up on using ABC's site. However, most shows can also be found on fancast.com. So, no need for their home site...

jvin248
March 20th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I've used Hulu, but they are switching to direct dump you back at source site (tnt.com latest).

Microsoft funded the move networks company last year - so reason for the Windows requirements. Also DRM and they collect a lot of "deep" user data. Benefit for users (if you're willing to run windows) is the software matches data with bandwidth to optimize the show detail.

Will moonlight fix this? Adobe flash improvments? directx on linux options?

woodgdo1
March 26th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know if anyone cares, but I started a petition to see if Move Networks will listen to us give Linux support.

http://www.petitiononline.com/movlinux/petition.html

-Doug

jaledi
March 28th, 2009, 09:37 PM
8 signatures now. Who knows if this will help, but it sure cant hurt!

Mr_Bumpy
May 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I e-mailed Move Networks yesterday, and today I received a response from them:

Thank you for your interest in the Move Media player. We do not currently offer
support for any distribution of the Linux kernel. Supported operating systems
include Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X 10.4+.

We hope to offer a Linux-supported version of the Move Media Player at a future date.

Besides e-mailing the networks that use Move Media Player, we should also e-mail Move Networks (mailto:info@movenetworks.com) to show them that there is demand from Linux users. Be civil, please :)