PDA

View Full Version : New Printer

steveneddy
February 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Just purchased an HP Officejet J6480 All-in-one printer/fax/copier/scanner yesterday.

For my SOHO this has been a wonderful investment.

I downloaded the latest version of HPLIP from the HP site and it works great!

esaym
February 6th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I bought this one last year on sell for $89 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112048

It is very fast and cost effective for printing out ebooks and documentation. Uses cups over the network.

steveneddy
February 6th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I saw a few laser printers that I would love to have.

Maybe next year I'll really need a laser printer and I can get one then.

We were actually looking for a fax machine when the printer quit on us, so it was the logical purchase at the time.

Tamlynmac
February 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I have a couple of HP Officejet 5610 all-in-one printers that work great on the HPLIP downloaded driver. Even the scanner is fully functional (XSane). I purchase the rebuilt NuKote cartilages locally for about $12.00 US. We don't do much with photos and the fax option (it does work - just don't fax that often).

One of the few vendors that appears to truly support Linux. Sad to think we can't convince other vendors to meet the challenge. Printers seem to be one hardware group that either supports Linux or doesn't - very little in between. HP is one that has shown a perpensity to not only writes drivers for Linux, but also keep them updated.

I actually sent a e-mail to HP thanking them for this service and notifying them of my loality. They responded with an extremely nice return and thanked me for reccommending HP to others. IMHO it never hurts to inform vendors of our appreciation and remind them that we commend their efforts.

sydbat
February 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
i actually sent a e-mail to hp thanking them for this service and notifying them of my loality. They responded with an extremely nice return and thanked me for reccommending hp to others. Imho it never hurts to inform vendors of our appreciation and remind them that we commend their efforts.+100

steveneddy
February 9th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I have a couple of HP Officejet 5610 all-in-one printers that work great on the HPLIP downloaded driver. Even the scanner is fully functional (XSane). I purchase the rebuilt NuKote cartilages locally for about $12.00 US. We don't do much with photos and the fax option (it does work - just don't fax that often).

One of the few vendors that appears to truly support Linux. Sad to think we can't convince other vendors to meet the challenge. Printers seem to be one hardware group that either supports Linux or doesn't - very little in between. HP is one that has shown a perpensity to not only writes drivers for Linux, but also keep them updated.

I actually sent a e-mail to HP thanking them for this service and notifying them of my loality. They responded with an extremely nice return and thanked me for reccommending HP to others. IMHO it never hurts to inform vendors of our appreciation and remind them that we commend their efforts.

I've used nothing buy HP printers from the start. It was just a great perk to find out that they were so greatly supported by HP.

Great isea on writing a letter.

I'm gonna do just that. Thanks