PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vidalia

ultimate_aektzis
February 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hi,
I have just installed vidalia project by compiling its source code but I can't find it on the applications menu or find the command that executes it from a console command.Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Partyboi2
February 6th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Try typing vidalia in a terminal.

ultimate_aektzis
February 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM

I have already tried it before posting;)

Partyboi2
February 6th, 2009, 10:50 AM
ok then try

/path/to/build/src/vidalia/So if vidalia was located in your /home directory you would use

/home/user/vidalia-0.1.10/build/src/vidalia *Replace user with correct name.

ultimate_aektzis
February 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
There is no folder name build:(

From console ls

CHANGELOG config.h doc LICENSE-LGPLV3
cmake config.h.in HACKING LICENSE-OPENSSL
CMakeCache.txt contrib INSTALL Makefile
CMakeFiles CPackConfig.cmake LICENSE pkg
cmake_install.cmake CPackSourceConfig.cmake LICENSE-GPLV2 README
CMakeLists.txt CREDITS LICENSE-GPLV3 src

Partyboi2
February 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I am not sure what steps you took to compile it, but the steps I took were the steps listed in the INSTALL file and I was able to successfully start the program with the above command I posted.

ultimate_aektzis
February 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I followoed the steps from the site.And I think that there arent any .deb's somewhere on the interent or in the repos:(

Partyboi2
February 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Ok if you finished compiling with 'sudo make install' it would have installed to

/usr/local/bin/so try

/usr/local/bin/vidalia

ultimate_aektzis
February 6th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I didnt make sudo make install.The instructions on the site said to dodo
cmake . && make

Partyboi2
February 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM
You should be able to enter the vidalia-0.1.10 directory and use the ls command and it should list a src folder. If there is no /src folder then I would suggest remaining in the vidalia-0.1.10 directory and try recompiling using the /build directory way

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install
then start with

/usr/local/bin/vidalia
When you run those commands make sure that they finish without errors or complaining about missing packages.

ultimate_aektzis
February 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for help partyboi.I will try it.:D

1nfinitel00p
May 13th, 2009, 08:18 PM

hey Partyboi, I wanted to ask you as a Jaunty user, did you already install vidalia for your version?

I found that there's still no support for Jaunty because Vidalia delays 1 month or so posting the new version is that true?

I already installed libevent
and vidalia

everything went right, but when I start Vidalia in it automatically open de GUI and says p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } Vidalia was unable to start Tor. Check your settings to ensure the correct name and location of your Tor executable is specified.

then I enter to settings but I dont know which executable tor file I tried with /tor-0.2.0.22-rc/contrib/tor.sh but nothing

so Im not sure of the correct path of the file, probably you know this. Thanks!

husunzi
November 12th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Tor is still not available in the repositories for Karmic (9.10), although Vidalia is, but I'm still getting the same "Vidalia was unable to start Tor" message. Either the Vidalia in the repositories doesn't include Tor (strange, since Tor is the central component), or there's another problem. I had tried this Jaunty fix (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7832839&postcount=10) before, but it still didn't work (after it apparently installed, Vidalia continued to say "unable to start Tor), same as several other people on these threads. Any suggestions? Will Tor or a working Vidalia ever be returned to the Ubuntu repositories? This is essential for people living in countries where important websites are blocked (regular proxies don't work for a lot of things).

shadowlands
November 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
look in applications and click the Internet app and you should see it on that list of programs you have for the internet.