PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't record video on Cheese

Fibonacci
February 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I've got a Logitech QuickCam Communicate MP which otherwise worked out of the box on GNU/Linux. I've tested it on aMSN, Skype, xawtv, and even Cheese - although only for static pictures in this later case.
However, it appears that it doesn't work for video on Cheese. Whenever I try to record video one of the following happens:
Either the video freezes after a few frames. Even if I leave it recording for ten minutes, the actual video written to disk is frozen for ten minutes. (best case)
Or Cheese displays the first few captured frames, afterwards freezing the video as in the previous case, but the file actually written to HD is empty. (worst case)
All during this problems, Cheese outputs nothing to the console.
Even more strangely, the problem might not manifest itself on low-res videos, i.e. 320240 or lower. But if I have recorded video at a higher resolution (which has invariably failed), and then try to record again at 320240, then the problem will most likely appear again.

How can I fix that?

Thanks.

KeeperOfDreams
June 7th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Wanted to add my information as well.
Just discovered this.
Runnning Ubuntu 9.04 post upgrade from 8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04
Under 8.04 running video fine after upgrade to 9.04, video works for most applications (skype etc.) But not cheese.
Cheese is locking, window responds to x button, but then must force quit application.
File is started, but no data in file is created.
Machine is a HP DV5Z with built in webcam (will need to investigate model).
Will add more information as I discover it.

no2498
September 5th, 2009, 05:17 PM
get( wxcam )

Fibonacci
September 6th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Excuse me?

no2498
September 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxcam/

you can get it in a deb file