PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDE 4 on Ubuntu 8.10 problems

mtrudel06
February 5th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I am very new to linux and last night i decided to install the KDE4 DE on my laptop which is running Ubuntu 8.10. The installation went fine but either i don't know what i am doing or there was a problem. Once kubuntu loads, i can only access the desktop and home folder from the bottom panel. I need help finding how to run applications and everything else (the system menu, apps, etc.) I can't find terminal or firefox or anything. Like i said i am a linux newb so all help will be appreciated! Thank you

SilvaRizla
February 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM
What you need to do is configure your desktop, right click on an empty space and add the folder applet, then configure this to /home/<YOU>/Desktop
You can do this for multiple folders, downloads or pictures for instance

Now right click on your taskbar and add the application launcher widgets

Ta-da!

TWO
February 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I am very new to linux and last night i decided to install the KDE4 DE on my laptop which is running Ubuntu 8.10. The installation went fine but either i don't know what i am doing or there was a problem. Once kubuntu loads, i can only access the desktop and home folder from the bottom panel. I need help finding how to run applications and everything else (the system menu, apps, etc.) I can't find terminal or firefox or anything. Like i said i am a linux newb so all help will be appreciated! Thank you

Hi

Is the K menu not displayed on the left side of the bottom panel? (This is a blue button with a white K.) If not, right click on the panel and select 'add widget' from the menu. Then scroll until you find the K menu widget and select it. This should be what you're looking for. Consider the K menu as the 'start menu' that you find in Windows XP, etc.

That's a bit weird that the K menu isn't on display...

Let us know if you still have a problem.

TWO