PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] program removal?????

jblinuser
February 5th, 2009, 05:11 PM
i have recently installed vmware player and server. i started using vmware server and installed a vm of windows vista and another one of windows xp. i was going to use them if i ever needed a windows machine but i have another computer that i can use for that. i have been having some issues with the server and player since i installed them and i would like to remove them from my machine. i had to install them using the cli and i dont know how to remove them using the cli. can some one help me with this please?

taurus
February 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Do you remember how you installed them from a terminal, commands?

jblinuser
February 5th, 2009, 05:19 PM
here is the link to the site that i copied and pasted from

http://geekzine.org/2008/11/20/install-vmware-server-on-ubuntu-intrepid-810/

taurus
February 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Do you remember where you unpacked the VMware-server-1.0.8-126538.tar.gz because there should be a vmware-uninstall.pl script in there?

jblinuser
February 5th, 2009, 06:15 PM
all of the files were unpacked in my home folder. only one that i see that even comes close is an install.sh file. i dont even see the intall.pl file.

jblinuser
February 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM
i am unable to find any way to uninstall this software. can anyone help?

overlord.gaurav
February 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Try running 'sudo vmware-uninstall.pl'

jblinuser
February 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
it says command not found when i do that.

taurus
February 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Where in your $HOME did you unpack it? Can you change (cd) to that directory and post the output of this command?

ls -la

mashiox
February 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I think what they're trying to get across is they want you to, in a terminal, change your directory to the folder where you extracted the vmware tarball (file ending with tar.gz, .tar, etc.)

So, if you extracted vmware on the Desktop to a folder named vmware it will be in /home/your-user-name/Desktop/vmware

To do this in a terminal:

cd /home/your-user-name-here/Desktop/vmware-folder-name-here

Then, there should be a uninstall perl script on that folder.
You can check by typing ls in the terminal and looking for vmware-uninstall.pl

If you find it type this in the terminal

sudo ./vmware-uninstall.pl

If you can't find it, try this command in the terminal
find / -name vmware-uninstall.pl

I'd bet your likely using Ubuntu though, so you can also try
sudo apt-get remove vmware

jblinuser
February 6th, 2009, 12:32 AM
ok i found that file and performed the uninstall. i was just looking in the home directory rather than taking it a step further and actually going into the vmware folder to find the uninstall file. thanks for the help everyone.