PDA

View Full Version : A really big idea that might work...

cwortman
February 5th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Disclaimer:If you think this is trolling than you should read it again and try to wrap your mind around the concept.

Q. What does Mac and Windows have that Linux doesn't?
A. Be ready for this... are you ready? Marketing. Pure and simple.
Sure they have all the software that people use. We have alternatives just as good, some better, some worse. No it isn't inertia. It isn't because it came pre-installed. Sure some of these factors play a role, but the root of it all is marketing. All we as a community need to do to get this on every desktop is market it.

Some of us here don't want to see it on every desktop because they are afraid of what might happen to Linux if it does. Afraid of it becoming tainted, but if the developers don't let themselves become tainted then Linux wont be. Linux is the fruit of the developers themselves.

If you want to see Linux on desktops globally, than you need a vantage point. I pick Ubuntu. Anyone with any knowledge better for someone who knows next to nothing about Linux or computers, speak up. Now I think a good way would be parading Ubuntu and it's logo, trademark, and anything good you have to say about it. Speak about it in your town, city, rural, etc... Speak it loudly and hand out Ubuntu CD's. Offer help to those stuck. Teach them how to fish, then tell them to pay it forward.

I mean this in the most literal sense. Throw a parade. My gay friend Venessa gave me the idea. I was sitting thinking (outloud) of why it isn't more widespread. She said, "Before I knew you I didn't know it even existed. Why not throw a parade it worked for us." I thought, wait a minute... it might be crazy enough to work. Parades are fun and you can even hand out Ubuntu CD's instead of candy. They are super cheap too like you can pick up 100 for like under $25 USD. Or you can pick up 1000 blank CD-Rs and burn them for $10 USD. Place them in bars, laundry mats, grocery stores, resturants, coffee shops. Get it into the public and it will become more widespread. Do something crazy enough to get into the News like stunts with the Ubuntu logo and name on your shirt. Speak about it publicly in a pavilion with a mic and loud speaker. People will listen, try it, and might actually like it enough to use it.

Again none of this is meant as trolling, but simply to stimulate a dream I have. I have done this in my town and it worked with surprising results. Heck if my girlfriend breaks up with me I might travel around the US "selling" Ubuntu for free.

Thoughts, improvements on my strategy, or even your own spin on it is readily welcomed!

ade234uk
February 5th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I agree on Server platforms, however M$ are doing the marketing for us as regards home users.
What with rising costs of IT, customers pissed off with Vista, people who are computer literate are looking around for alternatives.

I don't think Linux is in a position to advertise to home users, simply because it's too much of a change for the average user. Trust me, for every 50 people that installed Ubuntu, 30 of them would be complaining because they would not understand why they cannot install their favourite Windows programs.

If they are anything like my Girlfriends parents, just changing the screen resolution is enough to say that their machine has gone wrong. May be I should give users more credit, but Linux is an acquired taste.

koenn
February 5th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Q. What does Mac and Windows have that Linux doesn't?
... It isn't because it came pre-installed. Sure some of these factors play a role, but the root of it all is marketing.
do you have data to support this ? can we see them ?

Firestem4
February 5th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I agree on Server platforms, however M$ are doing the marketing for us as regards home users.
What with rising costs of IT, customers pissed off with Vista, people who are computer literate are looking around for alternatives.

I don't think Linux is in a position to advertise to home users, simply because it's too much of a change for the average user. Trust me, for every 50 people that installed Ubuntu, 30 of them would be complaining because they would not understand why they cannot install their favourite Windows programs.

If they are anything like my Girlfriends parents, just changing the screen resolution is enough to say that their machine has gone wrong. May be I should give users more credit, but Linux is an acquired taste.

Sadly, I have to agree with Ade. People are incredibly ignorant when it comes to computers. Most do not know anything they are doing. And that is what appeals to the 'average' home user. People who don't know how computers work. Don't want to spend time learning how it works. Just want their stuff to work (automatic set up on everything..Wizards anyone?)

Windows is plain and simple = easy. Easy for basic computer users with enough versatility to make a powerful desktop for advanced users. That is why Windows is such a powerhouse in this industry.

Coming from experience, I would never recommend linux to someone who does not have a firm grasp about how a computer works (regardless of the operating system). Since Linux, Windows, Mac, Solar, BSD, Unix, and any other OS, follow the Desktop Metaphor, Most functions work the same. People who understand 1 OS will have an easier time understanding the other OS because the fundamentals are all there. (File Tree, directors, [viewing] windows (ie: explorer, dolphin. etc). The fundamentals are all there, just in a different way.

However that is where it veers to the unbeaten path with Linux. Linux has come a long way from when i first looked at it, from what i knew, and now that I am using it. (granted I have only been using linux for a month, and am a A+ technician for windows. I used to only know that Linux was an OS). Linux takes more computer savvy. You really have to learn the OS to use it to its best potential. (I dont mean becoming an uber programmer). But setting up programs in Linux isn't as easy as the 1, 2 that Windows offers. - Personally i HATE configuring and troubleshooting programs that are meant for computer-iliterates. You can't do anything; Linux can take a lot of configuration for some of the more simple operations. (Like installing a screensaver or widget).

In the future when the Linux distro's become more unified (or if they do. I hope though because having common development tools, or atleast tools that can easily compile to other systems) WOuld bring in a large boost to Linux.

But i regress. Linux isn't for the average user yet. This is why we shouldn't do mainstream advertising. And to put it bluntly. Nobody will accept it. (most do not care what it is, they are complacent with their windows or macs). However this is slowly changing. More and more people are becoming computer literate (but i use that term loosely). But they are becoming aware of the fact their OS is not as friendly or safe as they though.

Someone earlier had a wonderful idea of a youtube based Advertisement - Linux, the Operating System for Humans. Which i thought is a wonderful idea. It can create some awareness. People can submit to newspapers/news sites and generate a buzz. Starting small is the best way to get big.

Canonical, Novell, Red Hat, etc have the resources to do mainstream advertising. And you can be rest assured, if they thought it was a great idea, they would have done it already. But they decide not to. Why? You may have to ask them. But as for me I can believe because it is just not the right time to expose Linux to the industry. It's an act that can be as foolish as Windows Vista. Linux is not ready for the rest of the world YET.

/end tirade.

NOTE: I am incredibly happy with my Kubuntu 8.10 (KDE4.2) Linux machine and I plan on swapping my other laptop and dual booting my gaming computer with various versions of linux in the future. I have been a Windows power user for years, and am a qualified Technician. I still use Windows because of gaming - However if it were not for that I would have completely switched all of my computers to Linux.

Oh and M$ is evil :twisted:

Smeags
February 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Q. What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?

A. Games. That's the only reason I will [never] make a full switch to Linux.

Firestem4
February 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM
If you want to see Linux on desktops globally, than you need a vantage point. I pick Ubuntu. Anyone with any knowledge better for someone who knows next to nothing about Linux or computers, speak up. Now I think a good way would be parading Ubuntu and it's logo, trademark, and anything good you have to say about it. Speak about it in your town, city, rural, etc... Speak it loudly and hand out Ubuntu CD's. Offer help to those stuck. Teach them how to fish, then tell them to pay it forward.

I mean this in the most literal sense. Throw a parade. My gay friend Venessa gave me the idea. I was sitting thinking (outloud) of why it isn't more widespread. She said, "Before I knew you I didn't know it even existed. Why not throw a parade it worked for us." I thought, wait a minute... it might be crazy enough to work. Parades are fun and you can even hand out Ubuntu CD's instead of candy. They are super cheap too like you can pick up 100 for like under $25 USD. Or you can pick up 1000 blank CD-Rs and burn them for $10 USD. Place them in bars, laundry mats, grocery stores, resturants, coffee shops. Get it into the public and it will become more widespread. Do something crazy enough to get into the News like stunts with the Ubuntu logo and name on your shirt. Speak about it publicly in a pavilion with a mic and loud speaker. People will listen, try it, and might actually like it enough to use it.

Your idea has merit but I want to bring up a few things.
1) The biggest lesson of Linux is mention, don't preach.
The reason I say this is in a sense: Product Placement. Linux does not want to force itself onto the desktop of any computer user. This is what Microsoft does. (In a confined sense so does Mac). Linux is free as in Freedom and Free Speech. We should not, and could not go around announcing Linux as the sweeping new Operating System that everyone has to change to. It could come back in the end to bite you. "Hey, you said this was great? But i put it on my computer and I had to configure my internet and get stuff from my other computer just to get my wireless set up! This thing sucks!" (Again, the average home computer user who is used to everything being done for them (Setup Wizards). Linux could end up loosing popularity.

2) Sometimes Linux is not the best solution. It speaks for itself. Each operating system no matter how Anti-Microsoft, Anti-Apple, or Anti-Linux you are, has its own great merits. But some things are not for others.
You can say Linux is for the Programmer or the IT company. Windows is for the Home, and Mac is for everybody. (I do not mean these I am just using crude examples). Every OS has something to offer.

Windows: Ease of Use.and Popularity (Some people are just not computer people And I dont blame them. Just because I am an educated computer person does not mean everyone should be or has to be. I don't know about fixing cars.) And there are already millions of programs that will work right out of the box.

Linux: Configurability, Security, FOSS. This speaks for itself. Linux is incredibly secure with virtually no viruses or hacking vulnerabilities. You can do so much with the operating system because it is flexible, powereful, and open. And there are thousands of amazing programs. From easy to use to advanced.

Mac: Stability, Security, and Seamlessness. (and it's not Windows). Mac's are very powerful because of the closed-architecture format they follow. All of the hardware Apple sells is guaranteed to work at max efficiency. The Operating System has next to no bugs because of the Quality Control. Same goes with Programs released for it. (I am not mac user so please correct me if I am wrong.) And just like Linux the OS is very stable and secure.

As I said Each operating system has something to offer. Linux is not right for everybody. Just as Windows or Mac isn't. This is a foresight some people misunderstand.

3)To me, Linux is an avalanche. Linux's popularity has always been a slow-riser. But with the modern development of Linux the popularity is in sharp contrast to what it was. Since Linux is no longer for the computer Guru, it is becoming available to more and more people. For more industries, and more budgets.

My generation (I am 19) is a lot more educated on the real world. Most of us may be dumb, slacking idiots, especially with school. (Don't worry I am not). But we are more aware of what is happening in the industry. Kids are much more technical [computer] savvy than their Parents, whether it is Phones, Computers, or even the Internet. We are also more aware of our Rights. (I am sorry to devolve from the topic but it has relevance). We understand our rights more than most people do. Currently a pressing matter for me and many others are the growing issue of Digital Rights Management. Many of us ask - At what point will I not truly own something that I have legally purchased? To bad it has already gotten to that point.

But we are fighting back. Recently Steve Jobs kicked all DRM from iTunes. And Microsoft added DRM back to Zune. Just watch whose popularity is going to rise? (and sales). I have always hated Apple, (not that I like Microsoft more), but I may even usee iTunes now.

Also we are more concerned with our privacy. Many of us deal with this on a daily basis. For instance why should i have to enter where i live just to join an email newsletter? Or why do i have to give you my phone number? Doesn't an email suffice.

Or on the tip of the scale. Microsoft's constant invasion of our privacy (and other industry mechanics) Microsoft has repeatedly put in programs in our commputers to track software, computer usage etc. Windows Genuine Advantage (no explanation needed). Hell. even my BluRay player downstairs needs to be connected to the internet to update its copy-protection firmware. WHAT KIND OF B$ is that!?!?

To me the culmination of all of these events and more are creating a precipice for millions of human beings.(I mean more than computer users because these affect everyone). People are beginning to understand their rights and liberties more (i do not even mean laws) I mean - We are entitled to this or that. Just like we are entitled to breath oxygen for free. (You can bet someone is going to start charging for that too. lol) But more people are seeing the benefits of Free and Open Source Software where they are not hindered by DRM, or IP (<- to a degree).

The snow has already started to slide off of the top of the mountain and we are at the beginning of a large cascade.

In time, we can have our Linux Parade. Until then I say we sit back and watch the decline of Microsoft. (They will not die out, but they are surely loosing fans).

cwortman
February 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I assume you know next to nothing yet. Tis the talk of laziness. Thing is it IS ready. Have to go to the other computer to get the wifi drivers... Most technicians have to go to another computer with an internet connection to get drivers for a non-working Windows system. Where is the difference? Just because it is pre-installed doesn't mean it will last forever and it will need to be replaced over time (bit-rot). I recently had to fix a system with XP Home which had XP pre-installed. The hard drive died (bad heads). I threw another HDD in XP Home and HAD TO GO TO ANOTHER COMPUTER TO GET DRIVERS!!!

Games? What games? I can play every single game with Cedega, Wine, and Crossover... Again another moot argument.

The person who after changing a resolution wouldn't know the difference when faced with Linux or Windows. Gnome, KDE, or Mac(Aqua). All they care about is how to get onto the internet and play flash games at Pogo. Calling Linux Vista again shows extreme ignorance on your side. Don't sell it as Windows and make sure you tell them that to do what they want just use Firefox or Open Office.

Again it boils down to marketing. Selling it. Not in the sense of I give you money for goods, but selling it to their mind-share. To the mom and pop technician shops. People like different if presented in the right light.

kevdog
February 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
My generation (I am 19) is a lot more educated on the real world

That might be one of the funniest statements I've heard all day! May more educated about the REAL WORLD as seen on MTV, but definitely not the world we live in everyday. Young grasshopper -- so much to learn!

Firestem4
February 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM
That might be one of the funniest statements I've heard all day! May more educated about the REAL WORLD as seen on MTV, but definitely not the world we live in everyday. Young grasshopper -- so much to learn!

You'd be surprised...

Its not as if age has a direct correlation to intelligence.

jimi_hendrix
February 5th, 2009, 11:13 PM
well advertising would help but...

we still need the technological literacy level to rise...we have a better shot next generation than this one

koenn
February 5th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Its not as if age has a direct correlation to intelligence.

you're switching from "educated about the real world" to "intelligence" as if they're equivalent. They're not. This indicates you might not be as educated about the real world as you think you are. It also casts doubt on your claim to intelligence.
:)

Smeags
February 6th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Games? What games? I can play every single game with Cedega, Wine, and Crossover... Again another moot argument.

"I can play every single game with Cedega, Wine, and Crossover..."

I'm talking playing games natively with no need for a special "platform" or whatever to run games through. Can you play Fallout 3 on Linux?

sydbat
February 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Can you play Fallout 3 on Linux?Apparently, yes...http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=14322

Smeags
February 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Ok, but did you read the comments on that page:

"What was not tested
Everything but basic single player.
Stability
V.A.T.S.

Additional Comments

Single player seems to be fine but rating definitions call for "Silver"

HowTo:

1. apply the WinD3D & mouse patch mentioned in the former "Gold" rating

2. compile the patched 1.1.13 wine source(in my case Suse 64bit wine)

3. winetricks DX9 & vcrun2005sp1

4. install Fallout3

5. maybe optional for you: install the xlive provided on disc

6. CREATE THE REGESTRY KEYS 1.0.035(?) then your mouse will become bugged with this method. Maybe the mouse patch is contra productive for FA3 1.0.0.35

p.s. Don't try to use a 32bit bash on a 64bit *nix to compile a 32bit wine. I wasted hours :)"

And other ones note that it will only work on low settings. The point is this: when a new game comes out that I'm super-excited to play, I want to throw a disc in my PC, install, and play...on high settings too. I don't want to have to tinker around with various patches, drivers, etc. just to play a game. If I'm the only one that feels this way then I guess I'm preaching to the wrong crowd.

When Linux gaming becomes on par with Windows, then I would consider dropping Windows altogether.

oldos2er
September 15th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Now I lay me down to sleep. Closed for necromancing.