PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates Unleashes Swarm of Mosquitoes on Crowd

Sporkman
February 5th, 2009, 03:52 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,488348,00.html

Bill Gates Unleashes Swarm of Mosquitoes on Crowd

http://www.foxnews.com/images/500689/0_61_gates320.jpg
Thursday, February 05, 2009

Microsoft founder turned philanthropist Bill Gates released a glass full of mosquitoes at an elite technology conference to make a point about the deadly disease malaria.

"Malaria is spread by mosquitoes," Gates said while opening a jar onstage at the Technology, Entertainment, Design Conference — a gathering known to attract technology kings, politicians, and Hollywood stars.

"I brought some. Here I'll let them roam around. There is no reason only poor people should be infected."

First reported on social networking site Twitter, Facebook's Senior Platform Manager Dave Morin blogged, "Bill Gates just released mosquitos into the audience at TED."

Gates then waited a minute or so before assuring the audience the freed insects were malaria-free.

The unusual presentation on malaria prevention was confirmed by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation's media office. A spokesman said the insects released were not carrying malaria.

Gates retired as head of Microsoft last year to focus more on his foundation. One of its key projects is ending malaria and it has spent millions on fighting the disease.

The philanthropist has been pushing to reduce malaria deaths through the nonprofit. In September, Gates announced that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation would provide $168.7 million to the PATH Malaria Vaccine Initiative to help develop a vaccine for the deadly disease.

red_Marvin
February 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I like it. It's a nice way to get the attendants attention. Waiting a short period before assuring that the insects are infection free, should put a little unease in the crowd, really making it their problem for a while. What if...

Sunflower1970
February 5th, 2009, 04:38 PM
When I first started reading this, I seriously thought this was from The Onion...

MaxIBoy
February 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I like his style.

Giant Speck
February 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
That is freaking awesome.

Wv0wvw88wvw0vW
February 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm impressed. I think using him as an icon for the capitalist attitude of Microsoft is a misrepresentation. He's a "geek", he's not a businessman, he used to run a "corporation", there is far less freedom to do things then. In any case, I'm getting off topic. The comment he made regarding why only poor people should get it as he released the mosquitoes was really inspiring.

notwen
February 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Regardless of the quality of the products he helped release in the past, he and his wife's work as philanthropists cannot be overlooked. He's 'good people.' =]

Dixon Bainbridge
February 5th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Microsoft arent evil, Apple are.

Joke.

Companies aren't "evil", they are run to make money. Gates is a successful businessman that could have retired a multibillionaire, sat on his *** all day and bought loads of gawdy crap to fill his huge house(s) with, like most witless rich idiots do. Instead, he's committed himself to getting rid of his fortune for the betterment of the less fortunate people. That should be applauded and supported. Money is worthless unless it can do some good. Gates knows this.

Polygon
February 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Joke.

Companies aren't "evil", they are run to make money. Gates is a successful businessman that could have retired a multibillionaire, sat on his *** all day and bought loads of gawdy crap to fill his huge house(s) with, like most witless rich idiots do. Instead, he's committed himself to getting rid of his fortune for the betterment of the less fortunate people. That should be applauded and supported. Money is worthless unless it can do some good. Gates knows this.

but he still has a big house with lots of things in it, im sure =)

but i do like this. gets your attention.

jomiolto
February 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I'm impressed. I think using him as an icon for the capitalist attitude of Microsoft is a misrepresentation. He's a "geek", he's not a businessman, he used to run a "corporation", there is far less freedom to do things then. In any case, I'm getting off topic. The comment he made regarding why only poor people should get it as he released the mosquitoes was really inspiring.

Well, I don't know Mr. Gates personally, but from what I've read he has always been very much business oriented from a very young age, so, yes, according to that he is a business man and very much so. Not that that stops him from being a geek, but as far as I know, business has always come before geekiness for him...

This is seriously cool, though, and at least it shows that he hasn't become a mindless business drone ;)

ZuLuuuuuu
February 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I liked the quote: "I brought some. Here I'll let them roam around. There is no reason only poor people should be infected.".

wolfen69
February 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Joke.

of course he is going to donate money. what else can someone possibly do with that much money? he is still a wolf in sheeps clothing.

earthpigg
February 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM
of course he is going to donate money. what else can someone possibly do with that much money? he is still a wolf in sheeps clothing.

and still getting great PR for MS... where i am sure he still owns a whole crapload of stocks and has a bunch of life-long friends.

but that can be forgiven due to the cause he picked.

Firestem4
February 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM
With all of the anit-microsoft ruckus on this board (i am a windows and linux user but I hate windows too). It is easy to overlook how generous a person Bill Gates is. He really is a humanitarian. He donates billions of dollars to charities every year and helps fund projects like this.

Microsoft may be a load of turd. and we have Gates to blame. But he has so many other redeeming qualities I think some of us should consider.

Good Job Gates.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/grossman77/Chuck_Norris_Approved.png

MaxIBoy
February 5th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Bill Gates has so much money that the interest accrues faster than it can be spent. Even after donating all this money, he's still probably richer today than he was before the money was donated.

That doesn't mean these donations are bad. I'm just putting them in perspective.

SunnyRabbiera
February 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
he was probably thinking "fly my monkeys fly!"
The Mosquitoes were probably thinking "hey, free lunch today!"

Dixon Bainbridge
February 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM

What on earth are you on about.

Seriously, Gates and MS bashers, get over yourself, give the guy a break. He doesnt have to do anything with his money. The thing is, he is. What the hell have you guys done to ease the suffering of people? I work in the charity sector, and people like Gates make a huge difference.

Sneering on a forum isn't going to do much is it? All this hate because he worked for a company that made an OS you didnt like. Get over it.

karellen
February 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Seriously, Gates and MS bashers, get over yourself, give the guy a break. He doesnt have to do anything with his money. The thing is, he is. What the hell have you guys done to ease the suffering of people? I work in the charity sector, and people like Gates make a huge difference.

Sneering on a forum isn't going to do much is it? All this hate because he worked for a company that made an OS you didnt like. Get over it.

don't waste your energy, you're on a Linux forums. here reigns the dogma "Bill Gates is evil, MS is malevolent, Apple is mischievous and everything proprietary is against the pure nature of the human soul" :)

SunnyRabbiera
February 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Personally I side with the Mosquitoes :D

BGFG
February 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Great point. The man is trying to fight malaria but somehow this thread became about microsoft and Bill Gates' wealth.
Linux forums will be Linux Forums.

Hellofa' demo though. :)

JohnFH
February 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM

Yep, yep, yep. Couldn't agree more. There's far too much hatred on this forum.

As for Bill Gates - he gave a lot of money away. Some may say that doesn't mean much to him, but have you not also thought about the time and effort he puts into his Foundation? If you didn't have to work for the rest of your life would you really spend a lot of time and effort campaigning for the poor?

clueless
February 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I just hope that more influential people are inspired by his example. His foundation has been doing great things!

Sporkman
February 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
...and everything proprietary is against the pure nature of the human soul" :)

Yes - they should print on the forum entryway:

HERE BE COMMIES

;)

Frak
February 5th, 2009, 10:22 PM
That is aaaawwwweeeessssoooommmmeeee :D

Giant Speck
February 5th, 2009, 10:30 PM
That is aaaawwwweeeessssoooommmmeeee :D

Could you imagine if he donated his money to fund Ebola research?

hellion0
February 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I'll say this much - as a humanitarian, Bill Gates earned my respect today with that ballsy mosquito play.

phrostbyte
February 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
That's awesome :)

Oh and yeah give Bill Gates a break, but never give Microsoft a break. :D

Frak
February 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Could you imagine if he donated his money to fund Ebola research?
xD

albinootje
February 5th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Yep, yep, yep. Couldn't agree more. There's far too much hatred on this forum.

You're right, the moment the boss of the more than 20 years abusing
monopoly on the pc desktop market starts giving away a little bit of his money to help the poor, we should indeed erase our memories of what happened in the past, and drool over him instantly.

Just like we should forget what oil companies have done in the 3rd world countries now they switched to a "green" and "social" image.

We should also forgive Dow because what they did was good for our economy worldwide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

We should also be happy about the existence of Monsanto because they only want to fight hunger effectively without filling their own pockets first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto

You're right about hate, the important thing is the shrug your shoulders and become totally ignorant and numb, and label that with peace and love.
Any criticism should be frowned upon, especially when it is about billionairs who worked immensely hard and totally honest for every penny they made.

Firestem4
February 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM
monopoly on the pc desktop market starts giving away a little bit of his money to help the poor, we should indeed erase our memories of what happened in the past, and drool over him instantly.

Just like we should forget what oil companies have done in the 3rd world countries now they switched to a "green" and "social" image.

We should also forgive Dow because what they did was good for our economy worldwide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

We should also be happy about the existence of Monsanto because they only want to fight hunger effectively without filling their own pockets first. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto

You're right about hate, the important thing is the shrug your shoulders and become totally ignorant and numb, and label that with peace and love.
Any criticism should be frowned upon, especially when it is about billionairs who worked immensely hard and totally honest for every penny they made.

Nobody here is saying that we should forget what Bill Gates did. Thats underhanded.

Bill Gates created Microsoft..Microsoft is evil
Bill Gates is a Humanitarian. Thats good.

Should we only focus on the fact he's evil then? Does it matter he tries to help?

Frak
February 5th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Microsoft is not evil. They are a moral-less entity out to make a profit, just like Apple, just like Canonical, and just like any corporation or business you buy from.

Calling them evil is childish. Grow up.

albinootje
February 5th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Nobody here is saying that we should forget what Bill Gates did. Thats underhanded.

Bill Gates created Microsoft..Microsoft is evil
Bill Gates is a Humanitarian. Thats good.

Should we only focus on the fact he's evil then? Does it matter he tries to help?

I don't know whether Bill Gates is really a humanitarian.
Looking at the many years of exploitation that Microsoft did under his supervision I would say no.
I would have some more respect for Mr. Gates when he would apologize in public for the cruel tactics and abuses that Microsoft has shown in the past for more than 20 years.

It looks indeed nice what he is doing with the fight against certain diseases but I would not be surprised if Mr.Gates bought stocks from the companies who are producing the cure for the malaria.

albinootje
February 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Microsoft is not evil. They are a moral-less entity out to make a profit, just like Apple, just like Canonical, and just like any corporation or business you buy from.

Calling them evil is childish. Grow up.

What means moral-less exactly ?
For non native english speakers ?

Firestem4
February 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Just like 'love', Evil's meaning has depreciated. I do not mean a possessed witch or demon, or the spawn of satan.

BGFG
February 5th, 2009, 11:52 PM

Yeah he created a monopoly, and people sat back and allowed him to.
Whatever. you're off topic.
back to the presentation.....

Firestem4
February 5th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I don't know whether Bill Gates is really a humanitarian.
Looking at the many years of exploitation that Microsoft did under his supervision I would say no.
I would have some more respect for Mr. Gates when he would apologize in public for the cruel tactics and abuses that Microsoft has shown in the past for more than 20 years.

It looks indeed nice what he is doing with the fight against certain diseases but I would not be surprised if Mr.Gates bought stocks from the companies who are producing the cure for the malaria.

A man with two faces can never quite be trusted or truthful.

Dixon Bainbridge
February 6th, 2009, 12:01 AM

You're a nobody that is in no position to judge anyone. I've ran my own business, did so for 5 years, in an insanely competitive market place. It turned me into a complete business nazi. I wanted to screw over ever single competitor, because I wanted my business and my employees to stay in business and have jobs. That was with a company that had £500,000k turnover. Imagine running a company with a turnover of billions. Think of what the effect of that would be on the psyche of those running that company.

I now work for a charity, working with disadvantaged kids. According to your criteria, I'm not a nice guy based on my previous activity. I had a business before, I undercut competitors and I screwed clients over to get contracts and more money from them. I now work for a charity, same as Gates on a much smaller scale.

You can't stick people into convenient little pigeon holes. I don't condone what MS did to get where they did, but they did what they thought was right for them at the time. When you've run you're own business then maybe you'll understand why people are so aggressive in the marketplace. Its sink or swim.

All corporations want to be the dominate player in their area and engage in underhand tactics to get them the leverage to do it. So, while you are at it, better bin all your products made by Ford, Canon, IBM, Apple, Nintendo, etc etc, as they are all at it to.

phrostbyte
February 6th, 2009, 12:43 AM
You're a nobody that is in no position to judge anyone. I've ran my own business, did so for 5 years, in an insanely competitive market place. It turned me into a complete business nazi. I wanted to screw over ever single competitor, because I wanted my business and my employees to stay in business and have jobs. That was with a company that had £500,000k turnover. Imagine running a company with a turnover of billions. Think of what the effect of that would be on the psyche of those running that company.

I now work for a charity, working with disadvantaged kids. According to your criteria, I'm not a nice guy based on my previous activity. I had a business before, I undercut competitors and I screwed clients over to get contracts and more money from them. I now work for a charity, same as Gates on a much smaller scale.

You can't stick people into convenient little pigeon holes. I don't condone what MS did to get where they did, but they did what they thought was right for them at the time. When you've run you're own business then maybe you'll understand why people are so aggressive in the marketplace. Its sink or swim.

All corporations want to be the dominate player in their area and engage in underhand tactics to get them the leverage to do it. So, while you are at it, better bin all your products made by Ford, Canon, IBM, Apple, Nintendo, etc etc, as they are all at it to.

I think there is a difference between underhanded and illegal tactics. But even if you don't agree with USA or EU decisions on the matter: I think it's pretty obvious that Microsoft is a direct competitor and obstacle to Linux adoption. So really trying to separate ambivalence towards Microsoft (and people associated with it, ie Bill Gates) in the Linux community will always be an exercise in futility! [-X

mips
February 6th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Business is business and you do what you have to in order to survive and and keep your employees employed. It's a dog eat dog world out there. you might not like it but that is the truth.

I'm tired of zealots from all corners....

JohnFH
February 6th, 2009, 01:13 AM

????
Did you miss the bit where he also gives his time and energy? Your comment about 'a little bit of his money' is meaningless then.

Since when did I drool over him or forget his past sins? I gave him credit for his hard work for the under-privileged people of this world - do you not? If you don't, which you've more or less said, then that's sad because you have become clouded with hatred and anger that you can't see or accept the good in people.

I don't like Microsoft (that puts it lightly) nor Apple for that matter, but the hatred on this forum is inwardly damaging as well as tiring. As well as hatred, maybe there's too much cynicism, sarcasm and destructive anger around here as well.

Frak
February 6th, 2009, 01:15 AM
What means moral-less exactly ?
For non native english speakers ?

Means without the convictions of right and wrong. A person without morals does not care about anything. If they cure cancer, oh well, if they set a cat on fire, oh well.

Business is business and you do what you have to in order to survive and and keep your employees employed. It's a dog eat dog world out there. you might not like it but that is the truth.

+1

People don't understand a business or corporation until they've either studied it for the history of modern countries or they've, like me, managed one for some time. The saying "it's only illegal if you get caught" is very much true in the business world. The government makes the laws to stop monopolizing businesses, but until enforcement is made, laws have no meaning.

albinootje
February 6th, 2009, 01:46 AM
If you don't, which you've more or less said, then that's sad because you have become clouded with hatred and anger that you can't see or accept the good in people.

I have tried to write down that I do not trust Mr. Gates' public image building when it comes to this, just like I don't trust Monsanto trying to "fight hunger" in the 3rd world by producing genetically modified products.

I don't like Microsoft (that puts it lightly) nor Apple for that matter, but the hatred on this forum is inwardly damaging as well as tiring. As well as hatred, maybe there's too much cynicism, sarcasm and destructive anger around here as well.

I think you're overreacting a little bit here, or perhaps you are not really interested in what Microsoft has done in the past ?

I've been using Linux since 1995, and since 1995 I read things about Microsoft which are not in the mass media (mass media still
writes about viruses and computers instead of Windows-viruses and pcs) at all, I think it's important to people are finally getting more informed about the Microsoft dominance worldwide which has influenced the acceptance of Linux on the desktop market, and still does (win-modems, win-printers anyone ?).

I've never been a full-time Apple user (although I've installed Linux on a few apple-machines and used that for a while), but tell me, did Apple ever do something horrible like this on the computer market to get a monopoly position (in this case the DOS market, followed by the MS-Windows monopoly) ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARD_code

kavon89
February 6th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Had anyone over at Microsoft thought about the fact that some people in the audience might be HIV positive? Isn't it possible to spread that through mosquitoes?

Giant Speck
February 6th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Had anyone over at Microsoft thought about the fact that some people in the audience might be HIV positive? Isn't it possible to spread that through mosquitoes?

No.

-grubby
February 6th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I applaud this.

@People who mentioned him having a big house: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates'_house
@MS bashers: This thread is not about MS, get on topic

Frak
February 6th, 2009, 02:19 AM
No, they can only feed once because they inject their gooey internals into their victim. They fly for a short time and usually die out.

-grubby
February 6th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Had anyone over at Microsoft

Too bad Bill Gates isn't Microsoft.

phrostbyte
February 6th, 2009, 03:16 AM

HIV can not live very long outside of a human body, and mosquitoes need a good week in between blood sucking to "digest" the blood (which probably kills the HIV anyway).

Malaria is especially adapted to be transmitted via mosquitoes. Actually when a mosquito bites an infected person it actually reproduces inside of the mosquitoes gut and infects it's saliva specifically. The mosquito can then effectively spread the disease to other victims.

Malaria is a terrible disease that has been killing people for thousands or tens of thousands of years, it's ranked up with one of the worst diseases humanity has ever faced. This disease also happens to be extremely preventable in recent times, in fact is basically disappeared in North America and Europe but still kills millions in Africa and Asia. It especially kills children, who often lack the effective immune response to repel the infection.

It's very preventable, and probably much cheaper to prevent then AIDS. In fact Malaria was a big problem in Europe and America but through massively reducing the mosquito populations and effective quarantines of those infected with Malaria, the disease was basically eradicated over time. Given enough determination it may be possible to eradicate Malaria worldwide, similar to how WHO (the World Health Organization) eradicated smallpox.

karellen
February 6th, 2009, 05:15 AM

some people will never understand this. I guess everybody needs to believe in something, and some chose the FOSS movement

phrostbyte
February 6th, 2009, 06:29 AM
some people will never understand this. I guess everybody needs to believe in something, and some chose the FOSS movement

And whats so bad about that? Beliving in FOSS is believing in something that actually matters! :D

I never understand why people are obsessed (or even remotely interested) in stuff like professional sports.

Superbowl - n: a bunch of barely literate jocks throwing a ball around for the reward of a ball on a stick painted gold.

Sorry, any way you paint it, most things people are fans of are POINTLESS DISTRACTIONS. FOSS is not like that.

Wv0wvw88wvw0vW
February 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
what on earth are you on about.

Seriously, gates and ms bashers, get over yourself, give the guy a break. He doesnt have to do anything with his money. The thing is, he is. What the hell have you guys done to ease the suffering of people? I work in the charity sector, and people like gates make a huge difference.

Sneering on a forum isn't going to do much is it? All this hate because he worked for a company that made an os you didnt like. Get over it.

+1

eragon100
February 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
+1

+ 1 also :wink:

BTW: I Want that house! :D

Giant Speck
February 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM
BTW: I Want that house! :D

+1 on that! :D

Sporkman
February 6th, 2009, 06:30 PM

In fact, Bill Gates would have been ripping off the shareholders (including many regular working folks with retirement funds that hold MS stock) had he done anything less than zealously protect & promote their interests by increasing the value of MS stock as much as possible.

MikeTheC
February 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Why does this sound like some cheezy b-rated sci-fi "thriller" movie to me?

Bill's money, as far as I'm concerned, is blood money. He and it taint the very humanitarian efforts they have involved themselves with.

I've nothing else to say about this that won't get me censured or kicked off this board.

Bungo Pony
February 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
In the spirit of fighting Cancer, I'm going to pass out cigarettes at the next big gathering I attend. After all, you can't get Cancer by just smoking one cigarette.

I don't know why Bill had to release Mosquitoes to prove a point. I hate Mosquitoes, and I live in the Mosquito capital of Canada. If Bill was aiming to **** off people at this thing, he probably did a good job.

Hated On Mostly
February 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Bernie Madoff is a great philanthropist as well. Good to know that all you have to do is throw money around and everyone loves you and looks the other way.

"There's a sucker born every minute"

Frak
February 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Bernie Madoff is a great philanthropist as well. Good to know that all you have to do is throw money around and everyone loves you and looks the other way.

When you go and help millions of people try to survive in a barren wasteland, come talk to me, other than that, you deserve none of my respect.

gonzomalan
February 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
When I first started reading this, I seriously thought this was from The Onion...

lol, me too

Hated On Mostly
February 7th, 2009, 09:46 AM
When you go and help millions of people try to survive in a barren wasteland, come talk to me, other than that, you deserve none of my respect.

Even though I don't remember asking for your respect, I am terribly crushed I don't have it. How will I ever go on in life without the respect of online identity "Frak"?

:-({|=

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Even though I don't remember asking for your respect, I am terribly crushed I don't have it. How will I ever go on in life without the respect of online identity "Frak"?

:-({|=

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/facepalm-1.gif

MikeTheC
February 7th, 2009, 10:56 AM
You're going to have to help me out here, Dixon, because I really don't get this.

I'm just bullet-pointing these for readability.

I've ran my own business, did so for 5 years, in an insanely competitive market place. It turned me into a complete business nazi.
Ah, I see. So it's the classic "The devil made me do it!" excuse then, eh? Interesting. But, pray, do continue, good sir.

I wanted to screw over ever single competitor, because I wanted my business and my employees to stay in business and have jobs.
No, it wasn't the devil. It was you. "I wanted" is a dead give-a-way on that point. So, you screwed your customers and competitors, not for yourself, but for your employees. They must be real proud to have a boss like you, looking out for them like that.

I had a business before, I undercut competitors and I screwed clients over to get contracts and more money from them.
So, this wasn't the first time you behaved badly then, huh? You did it before and felt emboldened by previous successes to use the same approach. Interesting. Your own words are really starting to speak volumes about your character, sir.

However, your logic gets even more interesting. Check this out:

You're a nobody that is in no position to judge anyone.
First, this was directed at another poster, not me. But, nevertheless, what you're saying is we should put criminals in charge of the court system, right? Because, after all, if one is not a criminal, then one is not in a position to judge someone who is a criminal. Even though, by all rights, a criminal is a criminal because they have committed a crime. Am I following your logic so far?

I now work for a charity, working with disadvantaged kids.
And so that's where your ill-gotten gains have gone. It's all for the children! Oh, how stupid of me. Of course bad acts are all justifiable when the end result is you're doing something positive for the children of the community... that you, by your own words, screwed over. Nice.

Folks, am I the only one seeing this smack of "Ends justifies the means"?

According to your criteria, I'm not a nice guy based on my previous activity.
Again, this was not directed at me, but yeah, I'd be inclined to go along with that sentiment. You made the bed, now why don't you try sleeping in it?

You can't stick people into convenient little pigeon holes.
Well, see, we're fresh out of pigeons, and we pigeon-hole-fillers are rather anal (if you'll pardon the horrible and unintended pun) about filling our pigeon-holes with something.

By your own admission, you've committed bad acts. This makes you not a bad person how, exactly? Again, I'm not trying to be disrespectful nor to judge you, and clearly we don't know the details of your business deeds and misdeeds, but then, according to you, at what point do wrong deeds count as wrong deeds?

And, um, who are you again, to be in such a position as to make such distinctions?

I don't condone what MS did to get where they did, but they did what they thought was right for them at the time.
I'll bet you Andrew Carnegie, and Joseph Kennedy, Sr., Leona Helmsley, Mao Ze Dung, "Uncle Joe" Stalin and any of a variety of other "fun loving" folks all felt exactly the same way. Funny, that. See, now you're starting to give me the creeps and make me think you're a sociopath. And that's not cool. Waaaaaaaaaay not cool.

When you've run you're own business then maybe you'll understand why people are so aggressive in the marketplace. Its sink or swim.
By that rationale, how about when two cricket teams get together for a match, one side (we'll call that team the Dixon Cricket Team) should bring with them billy clubs and cat-o-nine-tails, maybe even some hand guns -- after all, whatever it takes -- and I'll bet you they would win that game, no question. And the next one, and the next one. It sure would be a lot easier and more of a sure thing if they could just beat the other team senseless, wouldn't it? I mean, wouldn't it? Got your batsman comes up from the other team, and your bowler gets ready to throw, pulls out a handgun and shouts "Get out the way, mate, or I'll do you!" I'll bet'cha that batsman lets your bowler knock those bails clean out of the wicket. Heck, he might even help him.

That was with a company that had £500,000k turnover. Imagine running a company with a turnover of billions. Think of what the effect of that would be on the psyche of those running that company.
And this justifies their actions somehow? Oh, wait. You're an "ends justifies the means" type. Right. Gotcha. Besides, it was only £500,000. Clearly, it's not evil if it's only £500,000.

All corporations want to be the dominate player in their area and engage in underhand tactics to get them the leverage to do it.
Many may, but not all do, and it doesn't become "right" in any event.

So, while you are at it, better bin all your products made by Ford, Canon, IBM, Apple, Nintendo, etc etc, as they are all at it to.
Let me ask you a question. Do you remember, way back when you were a child, your folks telling you "Just because Johnny jumps off a cliff, you shouldn't do it, too."?

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2009, 11:05 AM
This thread has gone to crap in a handbasket.

The original story was funny, though. R.I.P. thread.

MikeTheC
February 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
This thread has gone to crap in a handbasket.

The original story was funny, though. R.I.P. thread.

http://www.advancedbuildings.org/img/low-flow-toilet.jpg

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.advancedbuildings.org/img/low-flow-toilet.jpg

No, thank you. I already went. :p

MikeTheC
February 7th, 2009, 11:14 AM
No, thank you. I already went. :p

All over the thread? Dude! That reeks! :p

Giant Speck
February 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
All over the thread? Dude! That reeks! :p