View Full Version : [ubuntu] No wireless connexion (Airport / PPC)

February 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I've installed Ubuntu PPC on an iMac G5. So far, all goes quite well, I've managed to setup the system with no major issue.

But there is a problem I can't seem to solve. My iMac G5 is "Airport Extreme-ready", which means it doesn't have wireless connectivity as a default option but contains a slot for an Airport card. I bought one a few monthes ago and it works well with MacOS X.

With Ubuntu, that's another story : it seems the card is detected (lspci finds 0001:01:01.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)), it is detected by the Hardware devices manager, I've activated it but:
- it doesn't see any wireless network in the NM menu
- it can't connect to one I manually add

I've tried a few how-to's, in case the firmware files were different, to no avail.

Any idea of what I can do to use my wireless access as expected (having an ethernet cable running through the middle of the room is not really practical) ?

EDIT : I've just installed wifi-radar and when running it from the terminal, I get wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down errors. How can I fix this ?