PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash Player Problem

frozenfire0808
February 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I'm pretty new to Ubuntu but I went to Ubuntu but I went to

http://community.abcfamily.go.com/watch/kyle-xy/company-men-full-episode

to watch an episode of Kyle XY I missed because of work and it said my flash player was not up to date to click on the link it provided
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

and Iclicked on the link and for the version I clicked
.deb for Ubuntu 8.04+ installed it but I still can't watch it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

apjone
February 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Have you restarted Firefox since?

frozenfire0808
February 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
yes

ajgreeny
February 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
You may need to uninstall flashplugin-nonfree first, if that is also installed on your system. You may also need to reinstall the adobe .deb file again. Check exactly what is installed using synaptic.

frozenfire0808
February 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM
In synaptic it says the status of Adobe Flash Player 10 is installed when I checked the common tab and in the installed files tab the files mention the word flash quite a bit.

Where is flashplugin-nonfree at?

frozenfire0808
February 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Never mind I found it. I'm going to close firefox and try the website again if it doesn't work I'll come back to this forum again .

frozenfire0808
February 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM
It didn't work I even tried reinstalling it. Are there any more suggestions?

ajgreeny
February 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Do you have gnash installed? The two certainly are not compatible and you should remove gnash if you have it.
Also have a look in FF using about:plugins in the address bar. It will list all your plugins and their files and pathways to them. You can also see what is showing in Tools > Add-ons and the plugin tab will show you which are enabled.

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I went to the synaptic package manager found gnash and it says it isn't installed.

I went to about:plugins in the address bar (I don't know what the FF was)

the following were in bold and had information about them

Default Plugin
Demo Print Plugin for unix/linux
iTunes Application Detector
Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_07-b06
Totem Web Browser Plugin 2.22.1
Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible (compatible; Totem)
VLC Multimedia Plugin (compatible Totem 2.22.1)
Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)
DivX Web Player
QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0

I went to add-ons in the tools tab the following were in bold

Default Plugin, Demo Print Plugin for unix/linux, DixX Web Player, Helix DHA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible (compatible;Totem), iTunes Application Detector, Java (TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_07-b06, QuickTime Plug-in 7.2.0, Shockwave Flash the details for this one is Shockwave Flash 9.0 r100 , Totem Web Browser Plugin 2.22.1, Windows Media Plug-in 10 (compatible;totem)

All of those are enabled I tried disabling the Shockwave Flash but it didn't work so I re enabled it.

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Help is still needed. I decided to post this because the post from the last person is a day old.

ajgreeny
February 6th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry if you didn't understand , but the FF was Firefox, and you should type about:plugins in the address bar of that, where you type other web addresses (such as www.ubuntu.com) You will get a screen like this where mine shows Shockwave Flash 10.0 r15

frozenfire0808
February 7th, 2009, 01:12 AM
When I went to about:plugins the shockwave flash part had this

Shockwave Flash

File name: libswfdecmozilla.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r100

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl Yes

unfortunately it is too outdated for me to watch the episode of Kyle XY I missed.

how do I get rid of this version and install the newer version which is on this webpage http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

and says

Download Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Flash Player
Linux, x86

Different operating system or browser?

Browser: Firefox, Mozilla, SeaMonkey

Learn more | System requirements | Distribute Flash Player | Installation instructions

and gives me the following versions to possibly download
.tar.gz for Linux
.rpm for Linux
YUM for Linux
.deb for Ubuntu 8.04+

ajgreeny
February 7th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Download the .deb file for ubuntu 8.04 to your normal download folder (Desktop or download, whatever you use) and double click it, but first, remove whichever flash you have at the moment using synaptic and searching for flash. Different install methods can put the various files in lots of different locations, which can sometimes baffle the system.