PDA

View Full Version : HP Mini 1000 Linux Source Code

Eviltechie
February 5th, 2009, 06:15 AM
So if you modify a program under the gpl, you have to release the source code, right?

So does anyone know where you can find the source code for HP's Mini 100?

Should I contact them and ask for it?

lykwydchykyn
February 5th, 2009, 06:23 AM
since the Linux version isn't out yet, they technically don't have to give you anything. Once the first unit hits the streets, then yes.

loell
February 5th, 2009, 06:45 AM
apt-get source Ubuntu 8.04 :tongue:

mikewhatever
February 5th, 2009, 06:58 AM
since the Linux version isn't out yet, they technically don't have to give you anything. Once the first unit hits the streets, then yes.

It's been on sale at hp.com for about a month.

madjr
February 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM
So if you modify a program under the gpl, you have to release the source code, right?

So does anyone know where you can find the source code for HP's Mini 100?

Should I contact them and ask for it?

Their MIE (mobile internet experience) interface is not opensource, they just ported it, it's very nice thou u can check it at youtube

mihai.ile
February 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
note that if they created the interface they don't have to publish anything just because they run it under Linux...

Sealbhach
February 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM
note that if they created the interface they don't have to publish anything just because they run it under Linux...

So it's just an interface (a theme) rather than a coded application?

mihai.ile
February 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
it could be, yes. but note that even if is an application(made by them) they don't have to release sources. It's their application.
They only need to release source if their application would be a heavily tweaked gnome for instance...

Sealbhach
February 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Just saw this:

Anyone interested in checking this edition out can simply add HP repositories to their Ubuntu editions and then install the package called glassy-bleu-theme.

http://stuff.techwhack.com/6087-glassy-bleu-theme

So all we have to do is find out the HP repos.

I've also read they are not making the Ubuntu version available in the UK, you can only get XP.

SunnyRabbiera
February 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM
If the code is something they created they are not bound to the GPL, but if they made kernel changes or just dressed up GNOME or KDE the FSF has the right to sue.

Sealbhach
February 5th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Found another thread with links to the HP repos so you can install this theme:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6663594&postcount=2

Eviltechie
February 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Well I feel like getting the source code, even though I wouldn't know what to do with it. So how would I go about doing that?

lingnoi
February 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
If the code is something they created they are not bound to the GPL, but if they made kernel changes or just dressed up GNOME or KDE the FSF has the right to sue.

That's extremely misleading.

The FSF can only sue if it's their code. The FSF can't do jack if someone is stealing KDE or Linux because the FSF doesn't own either pieces copyright.

The same goes for any unrelated GNU/GPL project. The FSF don't have automatic copyright assignment just because you put your work under the GPL.

SunnyRabbiera
February 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM
That's extremely misleading.

The FSF can only sue if it's their code. The FSF can't do jack if someone is stealing KDE or Linux because the FSF doesn't own either pieces copyright.

The same goes for any unrelated GNU/GPL project. The FSF don't have automatic copyright assignment just because you put your work under the GPL.

still, we have the right to press HP if it becomes needed.

Eviltechie
February 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I know they can't sue, but they can sue on behalf of someone. See busybox.

Either way, I have a right to see the source of the base linux system and anything that they have changed with it. (not added) Correct?

Eviltechie
February 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Ok, after replying to this, I found http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2020&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3860346&lang=en

Would that qualify as the source code?

lingnoi
March 4th, 2009, 04:18 PM
still, we have the right to press HP if it becomes needed.

Only if you bought a HP Mini 1000 would you have a right to the source code. Remember GPL doesn't mean free to download on-line for everyone. HP only need to make the source code available to their customers to satisfy the GPL. Then said customers can distribute to whoever they wish.

I'm not saying it's morally right or not, just stating the facts of how the GPL works.