PDA

View Full Version : Talk to your friends without and IM client

BWF89
December 20th, 2005, 01:00 AM
http://www25.meebo.com/

It uses JavaScript. Just put in your name and password and your buddy list will come right up.

noco37
December 20th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Cool concept, but I am always hesitant to give out any account info to 3rd party sites.

majikstreet
December 20th, 2005, 01:21 AM
BWF89, the website should be www.meebo.com - it chooses a random site like www8.meebo.com or something to reduce the server load.

noco37, on their blog, they have a security policy. - http://blog.meebo.com/?page_id=19

nice site, I've used it before :)

sapo
December 20th, 2005, 02:12 AM
I use it everyday at work cause they blocked ALL the IM login urls and ips.. so meebo bypass the firewall and i chat instead of working :cool:

xequence
December 20th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Cool concept, but I am always hesitant to give out any account info to 3rd party sites.

Passwords encrypted with 1024-bit RSA keys.

Not sure what it means, but its more bits then my processor is, so it must be good.

ltmon
December 20th, 2005, 03:52 AM
Passwords encrypted with 1024-bit RSA keys.

Not sure what it means, but its more bits then my processor is, so it must be good.

It's nothing to do with your processor bits.

It's the lenght of the key to the cryptography used in the password.

The more bits, the longer a brute-force attack on your password will take to get it. With large keys (1024 bit is such) a brute force attack with current computing technology will take a few million years.

Most encryption is cracked through weaknesses in the algorithm (in this case RSA). I'm not sure if there are any known exploits for RSA at this stage.

L.

xequence
December 20th, 2005, 03:55 AM
It's nothing to do with your processor bits.

It's the lenght of the key to the cryptography used in the password.

The more bits, the longer a brute-force attack on your password will take to get it. With large keys (1024 bit is such) a brute force attack with current computing technology will take a few million years.

Most encryption is cracked through weaknesses in the algorithm (in this case RSA). I'm not sure if there are any known exploits for RSA at this stage.

L.

I know it has nothing to do with processor bits =P

I was just using that as a way to say I think its strong encryption.

ed_d
August 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Another nice thing about meebo is that if you use it away from the office, you can still access your logs to CYA, unlike others that just store it locally.
Im likeing it alot

-Phi-
August 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM
My usual strategy to talk to friends without an IM client is to...you know...talk to them. :-P

- Phi (will probably use meebo next time the lab blocks gaim)

Christmas
August 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Applies for me to. I only enter my password for Yahoo! services, never on other sites. Believe me or not, the first time I used Gaim (I was only used to Windows YIM, I didn't even know there are other YIM clients except for Trillian) I was hesitant to, but I understood it won't do anything bad. Once I saw a web page perfectly designed to look like the yahoo login page, but actually it wasn't. It was a stupid romanian site as far as I remember made to steal accounts. Lucky me I had this rule right before that so I didn't enter my password.

forrestcupp
August 4th, 2006, 09:26 PM
My usual strategy to talk to friends without an IM client is to...you know...talk to them. :-P

- Phi (will probably use meebo next time the lab blocks gaim)

Yeah, remember when people used to get on the phone and use their voice, or go to someone's house to see them?

You know it's getting bad when Yahoo news has an article about how it's becoming more popular for people to go together on a date to a cafe with wireless, and sit next to each other with their laptops and chat with each other without speaking. No kidding! I saw it today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060803/tc_nm/life_cybercouples_dc_2