PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lexmark is Providing Drivers

djxcon
February 5th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I am writing this thread to let others know about my recent findings...I have a friend using Ubuntu 8.04 and he needed a printer. I have always been in the habit of recommending HP printers because they are usually compatible and work well in CUPS. Well, he called me and said that he bought a Lexmark z2300. I thought, oh no, now we have to go through the usual z600 driver install because it is compatible with most Lexmark printers.

Something inside told me to just try going to the vendor website and check if there happened to be something useful in Linux and to my pleasant surprise, THERE WAS! Right there, in all it's glory, an install file for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (and other distributions). I downloaded the file, extracted the script, ran it and the printer was working in no time!!!

So my question to you all is, when did Lexmark start providing drivers complete with install scripts? This is great news and I am not complaining! How in the world did I miss this piece of news?

Xamiga
February 5th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I'm not that excited - check out their OS compatibility list.

djxcon
February 5th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Maybe they need to update that page...When you browse for a driver, there are choices for OpenSuse, Debian, Ubuntu LTS, and Foresight.