PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to everything.. FTP..

MichaelMcIntyre17
February 5th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Well, I am a senior in high school, and been programming for three years BASIC,VB,C++, and just started HTML this semester. Along with this I have a TA hour with the IT department in the school. But to the point, been working on an ubuntu server. Installed the gui because I felt intimidated by command lines. Got webmin, FTP, and Apache working-somewhat. I can get to the html test page from anywhere. But not too sure how webmin is used, all I only see settings. And Proftpd is installed, I can see when i try and access it via ftptop. But i can't seem to get to see any directory. I intend to use the ftp to upload an updated webpage. I have scavenged around a bit but all tutorials just seem to be the server-side set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Michael

cariboo
February 5th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Make your self a member of the www-data group, and you should be able to drop files into /var/www.

Jim

MichaelMcIntyre17
February 5th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Well, I don't know how this is going to help. The ftp is working as far as i can tell, set an ip, the root directory. But i dont know what application to use to view the files from a windows computer.

mistaWAC
February 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Oh - get FlashFXP or CuteFTP. Both are very good FTP clients.