PDA

View Full Version : Red alert: Ardour is in serious trouble

Sean4000
February 5th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Please don't let Ardour die.

From the main page: http://www.ardour.org/node/2406

"""""SAE announced today that they will no longer sponsor the development of Ardour. This puts me (Paul, Ardour’s lead developer) in the position of being paid solely by the donations and subscriptions made by the Ardour community. This is obviously insufficient to support myself, let alone my family, so I am obviously looking for other opportunities to earn a living. Although I intend to try to improve the revenue that Ardour itself generates, this is unlikely to be sufficient for some time to come. I am therefore in a position to serve as consultant/contractor on other projects, and will be happy to handle inquiries about this via email (paul@linuxaudiosystems.com). I intend to continue doing some work on Ardour to provide support and continuing incentives to those who are already paying for that via donations & subscriptions."""""

It is truly sad to see projects like this lose steam. Especially one so helpful as this.

If anyone can help find support the help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
Sean Burns

If this thread needs to be moved, then move it! I tried to post it in the right spot.

thisllub
February 5th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I spent a year at SAE in 1982.

Maybe Tom Misner wants to keep his last 200 million for himself.

Ardour is a good project but as an open source venture it is suffering from a too small development team.

I hope things work out as I think it is almost good enough to use.

OutOfReach
February 5th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Arghh, If only I had money to spare to this great project.

Sean4000
February 5th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I'm trying to see if Lumiera will absorb and assimilate the app into their matrix. That way lumiera will be a FOSS NLE/Compositor, and DAW!

Pie in the sky but it's worth a shot.

hanzomon4
February 5th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Bad economy strikes again?

Sean4000
February 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Bad economy strikes again?

I am afraid so.

russofris
February 6th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Paul,

Have you approached some of the DAW hardware companies about bundling? Perhaps you could get together with the Studio64 lads and put together some sort of package. You may also wish to put together a pitch for the labels.

You have a decent product and shouldn't have issues pitching it to anyone (and getting paid).

Frank

Blaque
February 6th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'm a hobbyist producer and it would really hurt to see Ardour go stale. I'd just found the time to really get into it recently and now this. Is there enough of a developer community to keep it going while its unsupported?

I wish the lead developer the best of luck in finding work and must say he and the others have done one hell of a job on this project.

Sean4000
February 7th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Paul,

Have you approached some of the DAW hardware companies about bundling? Perhaps you could get together with the Studio64 lads and put together some sort of package. You may also wish to put together a pitch for the labels.

You have a decent product and shouldn't have issues pitching it to anyone (and getting paid).

Frank

Hey there, Paul's contact information can be found on Ardour's website: www.ardour.org